sudden onset of adult bedwetting
I am a 35 year-old healthy non-smoking male. Over the past year I have felt an increase in the urgency and frequency of urinating. Now, twice in the past four months, I have urinated while sleeping. I never wet my bed as a child and this has never happened in the past.

How serious might this be?

Thank you.
You may want to make sure there are no metabolic causes of increased urinary frequency - including checking for diabetes, thyroid tests, as well as a urine sample for infection.  It goes without saying that medications that encourage diuresis should be stopped.  

Further tests can include urodynamic studies or a cystoscopy to ensure there is no anatomical abnormality causing your symptoms.  A urology referral should be obtained for further evaluation.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.