Urology Community
swimming with a super pubic catheter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

swimming with a super pubic catheter

i have had a super pubic catheter for over 8 years now and iam going to get a pool. does anyone know if you can swim with a super pubic catheter and if so what do you use to seal the stoma area as not to remove the tubing and the bag

I too would like to know the same thing.

However a information sheet told me not to soak the stoma for an extended period.

A swimming pool is also a breeing pot for germs. I don't think that I would take the risk.

I had a staph infection once that landed me in intensive care and I don't want a repeat.

Swimming is one of the only ways that I get exercise. Due to health problems I cannot get exercise as anyone else.

God bless,

Ron
well i will have a pool service to keep it clean and they make seals i have heard to seal the stoma for people who go into swimming pools plus they have water proof taping. lots of people swim  and bathe with stoma's so why did they tell you no ?
Hello Chyressa,

I was given a plastic "plug" at the pharmacy for my spc tube. I just disconnect my bedside bag hose from my catheter, and insert the plug.

I remember a time when I was out of town and I went to an ER just to see if they had one, and they did. You should be able to ask your catheter supplier for one.

Enjoy the water.

Hi Chyressa,

I'm not sure about what catheter you are using, but I know that http://www.180medical.com has catheter supplies that allow you to swim while using.  I would recommend checking out their site.

i have just had a super pubic fitted can anyone tell me how to look after it as they just told me not to pull it out ! (which i ended up doing in the first week!) it was put in on the 5th decemer 10, i keep getting infection and been told to put inadine dressing on, i would love to swim again! how long does it take to heal before i can get up and about?

I looked at the site as I very much would like to go swimming again. However I'm not sure of the catheter that you are referring to. Could you please indicate which one it might be.

I will be going for another Cystoscopy this coming Wednesday to see if a fistula has closed. I doubt it since I has almost been 3 years now. If surgery is decided on, a divertion of the bowel might be required.
Prior to this taking place, I would love to go swimming again. Since I have mobility, and ballance problems, swimming is one of the only activities that I can do.
I look forward to hear from you.

Sincerley,

Ron
I was wondering the same thing and then I stumbled across this web page this should help answer an questions you may have www.uhb.nhs.uk . I hope this helps. The answer is yes you can go swimming.
I just saw your note. I hope that you are having better luck nowadays, I hope that you receive this. I ended up with infection after infection after infections. About 3-4 years ago, it got so bad that they were going to have to hospitalize me, and put iv's for meds in BOTH arms. My home health nurse came out soon after, and we changed my routine:

1. I have 2 towels to use after I shower, the big one to dry most all of me, and a s,aller one to dry around my SP site. The towels are hung apart from one other.

2. I put a teaspoon to a tablespoon of vinegar everyday into my Gatorade that I put my Polyeth Glycol (laxative) into.

3. After I shower, I put Mupirocin around the tube and the stoma area, just a small dab does the trick (I use a finger cot to rub the medicine around-finger cots are expensive, so I buy the latex gloves, and just cut a finger off of it, and use that)

I repeat #3 before I go to bed, and I use a wet wipe with  povidone-iodine (PVPI) topical antiseptic (Betadine)  to cleanse the area before applying the  Mupirocin salve around the tube.

4. The youth Pastor's wife at my church knows some about herbal remedies. She had heard about all of my infections, and happened to hear about a product called "D Mannose" She bought me a bottle to try, and low and behold, I have 2enot had a bladder infection, UTI, or any other infection in years......

I flush my SP tube with a 60cc syringe using STERILE water, every night. I change my bag every 7-10 days..

Again, I apologize for not getting this back to you sooner. I hope this helps any of you suffering the way that I used to.