Urology Expert Forum
swollen bumps and clear discharge

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

swollen bumps and clear discharge

About six weeks ago I started noticing two clear bumps on either side of the opening on my penis.  A clear slightly sticky discharge acompanied the bumps.  There was an open lesion for one night that went away the next day.  The skin at the lession site seems to be changing color to a darker purple and is slightly swollen.  I am uncircumcised.  

The bumps are still with me and are more prominent in the morning.  by afternoon they ussually subside and are no longer visible.  Orriginally the fluid was an all day occurance but now only happens when I'm arroused.

All STD tests have come back negative, however I don't believe any tests have been done for HPV.  I visited one urologist and he said I was completly normal.  My problem is is that I can't convince my self that I am fine.  WHy for fifteen years of being sexually mature whould I have no symptoms and then all of the sudden this leakage and bumps start occuring.  

Could this be cancer or something that just happens to guys as they start getting older?
HPV can always be a possibility.  This is normally diagnosed by clinical appearance - you may want to obtain a dermatology consult or another urology opinion.  Options for diagnosis can involve the following tests:

* Nonamplification tests
* Signal amplification methods
* Tests in which the target is amplified

These are tests that are not always used, but can always be discussed with your personal physician.

Regarding the penile discharge, if the other STD tests are normal, you may want to consider testing for prostatitis - which includes sending any prostatic fluid discharge for culture and evaluation.  A transrectal ultrasound can be considered to evaluate for any prostatic abscesses.  

If HPV is the diagnosis, you can consider the following options for treatment, including podophyllin, immunomodulator therapy, as well as surgical therapy and cryotherapy with liquid nitrogen.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.