Urology Community
swollen vein in penis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

swollen vein in penis?

My husband noticed several days ago what appeared to be a swollen vein in the upper right side of his penis, just below the head.  It is mildly sensitive/painful, is not discolored, and the swollen portion is approximately 3/4 of an inch long running horizontally, maybe an eighth of a cm in width, looks like it might be a swollen vein but we are just guessing that that is what it is.  Slightly hard to the touch, and the swelling has decreased a little since he first noticed it. We have tried to look it up on line to figure out what it is but have not been able to find out anything definitive.  Any ideas/suggestions?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The symptoms can be due to Mondor’s disease. It is superficial thrombophlebitis of the penis. This is an inflammatory reaction to a clot within the vein. This subsequently causes blockages and dilation of the vein. It is typically painless, but can be painful. In studies, patients were noted to have thrombophlebitis after a prolonged sexual act with or without intercourse. It was described as cord-like thickening of the superficial penile veins.

Diagnosis can be confirmed by ultrasound. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.