Urology Community
testicular pain: Microsurgical Denervation of the spermatic cord

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I posted a couple days ago about severe testicular pain that I've had for three months now. I've found many people that have been fighting this for years. My wife found this place in Florida that performs a surgery where they snip the nerves that lead to the testicles, and the pain stops in about 90% of patients.

Have you undergone this procedure?
  Did it work for you?

Have you heard of this procedure?

Are you suffering from testicular pain and think this might help you?

Let me know what your thoughts are. I've talked to the surgeon who performs the surgery and he's going to communicate with my insurance company and try to get it covered. If he can't get it covered, I won't do it, because I simply can't afford it. But if insurance will cover it, this just might be the solution I've been searching for. It might be your solution, too.
Is the physician name Dr. Parekattil out of Gainsville, FL?  I am also considering this procedure, find anymore information on this
Hi. I have been in pain for years, and the doctors can't find anything wrong. So I am considering this procedure too. I dont find too much information about it. How much does the surgery cost? Is fertility affected with the procedure? Thanks for any information.
hi guys
first of all i want u to know that , i know what are u going through, since i have chronic testicular pain more than 6 years. The quality of my life is seriously impaired.
I have been talking  about this new robotic assisted microsurgical tecnique, with the doctor in Florida. The doctor gives me a lot of hopes. He said to me that i will not have any problem concerning fertility or atrophy of the testicles.I am a bit worried though and i have start talking to other doctors about it , around the word to have their opinions too. I am still waiting for their answers . i ll post them as soon as i got them. keep praying thats what i do
I have been suffering with Post vasectomy pain for 3 years. I have  been to 3 different DRs none of them think anything is wrong. I have been considering denervation to stop the constant aching. Please keep us informed with new info.
I too am STRONGLY considering this surgery.  I have had ongoing testicular pain (bilateral) for going on 5 months now, 3 urologists, 2 ID docs and 2 ER docs later and no one can tell me whats going on other than it doesn't appear to be an infection, just chronic inflammation and pain.  I'm going to be visiting a pain management center very soon to try out the cord blocking shots which was recommended by the last uro for this and if that goes well I'm going to then start taking steps towards getting this surgery and getting my insurance to cover it.  If anyone has any new info they find out about this procedure please post it!

This surgery seems far less invasive and looks like it has a much higher success rate than any other surgeries for this (an epididectomy or a full oriechtomy) plus I have heard having a testicle removed for this isn't even a guarentee for pain relief!  How bad would that suck waking up with your nuts gone and STILL having pain down there :(
I just had the procedure done by Dr. Paretattil. He has moved to Winter Haven Florida which is near Orlando so it is cheaper to fly there. I am 6 weeks out from having the procedure done bilaterally. The right side is 100% pain free. Since the left side was more complicated from scar tissue from 3 previous surgeries, I am still quite sore. I am optimistic though. This Dr. is the best in the WORLD for these problems. I have anthem insurance and my procedure wat 100% covered. This hospital will fight the insurance battle for you. Go and get it done. I have struggled with this pain for 9 years. In fact, if you have any questions for me, please email me at ***@**** I wish I would have had more information when I started this process 9 years ago. I have been through it all. Good luck to everyone.
Is there a list of doctors who perform this procedure? I am having trouble finding information...
I'm skeptical because I have been through so many procedures.  October 2009, I had my vasectomy.  Immediately, I had pain in the left side.  I had 3-4 nerve blocks, 3 RF injections, been on pain management, had an epididymectomy, finally had my left testicle removed.  The pain is about 40 percent better since the removal, but I still have pain, I cannot work and have not worked since January.  I'm trying to get on disability, and now, the past three months or so, I'm feeling pain in the right side.  

Is this my life from here on out?  In pain and unable to work?
My husband is suffering from single side testicle pain from a vasectomy done over a year ago.  He had severe pain even during the procedure and has not improved.  Anti-Inflam, Nerve blocks and narcotics.  Nothing seems to help and can't be on narcotics long term.  Options have been reconnect that side (insurance won't cover); strip the nerves or remove the testicle.  Nerve stripping seemed to be a needle in the haystack approach - not sure if the procedure you had done is the same thing.  Looking like this Dr in Florida might be an option since noone really seems to be sure and whether they can even help.  Are you pain free now?

I too have suffered for approx. 6 years.  The last two years have been pretty good and over the last year have got off all medications.  I thought I had put this nightmare behind be.  However, over the last week it has come back.  I do not want to get back on medication as I gained 50lbs and was very lathargic.  I see where Dr. Paretattil is a leader and see from your post that the procedure was successful.  Just wandering if you would still recommend this procedure?
Thanks,

Scott
Hi,  I am a 58 year old male. Thinking of having the same surgery you had.  I have had left testical pain for 14 years after having epididymitis and having surgery to remove it. Now after nerve blocks, freezing the ilioinguinal nerve for years with some good results.  Last time freezing the nerve made it worse. Now i am thinking of doing a microdenervation of the spermatic cord. At John Hopkins by Dr Pravin Rao. Tell me how you are now and recovery time and is this a good plan of action. Looking to hear form you..
I have had left testicle pain for 20 years now....it has kept me from doing absolutely anything strenuous, and at its best it has a slight throb...at its worst I wanted to end my life!!!  I have been able to keep the pain down for a long time, but now It has hurt for the past 3 weeks enough to make me pretty miserable...I have already had about every test done in the past, and even had an exploratory surgery to see if I had a hernia..Everything ALWAYS, comes back NORMAL!! SO FRUSTRATING!!....I have some questions though....how long after surgery could I go back to work?.. and just how painful is the surgery process? I watched a video of it and I immediately could feel fear and nausea overcoming me!! I am sooooo ready to be back to normal again!! I can't even remember what it feels like !!