Urology Expert Forum
toilet seat injury in toddler

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

toilet seat injury in toddler

My 3 year old attended A+E the other morning when the toilet seat fell onto his penis.His penis was bleeding quite heavily from the inside and was very swollen. At hospital they said that there wasnt much they could do and just to ensure he pass,s urine . However I feel very upset that the Doctor did not arrange a follow up appointment ,. I have since contacted my Gp for an appointment 2wks from now. However my son is passing urine with no problems, although at times he will say it is sore when he moves a certain way.  With a bit of chocolate I encouraged him,to let me have a look which he previously would not allow. I very gently moved his foreskin back a tiny bit and it looks very purple and jelly like. I am exremely worried for him, I have been giving him a daily bath with some salt water in it. Could you please advise on what else I could do or should he be seen by a specialist now? or be seen  sooner than 2wks by GP?. Many Thanks Linda Webb
These injuries usually are not serious, although upsetting to all concerned. If your son can urinate and there is no progressive penile swelling, then just allow time for him to heal. If he is complaining about discomfort with voiding, sit him in a warm tub and allow him to urinate in the warm water.
Do not attempt to pull his foreskin back.
If swelling is progressive or if he starts developing increasing difficulty urinating, then consult a pediatric urologist.
There is no need for immediate medical attention as you were advised.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.
I must emphasize that he should be under medical supervision. Please get him a second opinion asap. There is cases of gangrene that develope days after crush injuries and the description of purple and jelly like is similar to what is seen in gangreneous tissue. The first treatment may include antibiotics.The bleeding was a indicator of some skin or membrainous tissue damage and this is often the point of entry for infections. The greatest concern is time and avoiding infection while the wounded tissues are healing.