Urology Expert Forum
trapped penis

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

trapped penis

My grandson appear to have no penis.  there is an opening and you can coax a penis out with pressure around the opening.  It is very short with the appearance of a larger purplish head which seems somewhat normal.  His urinary functions is good.  The scrotum seem contracted all of the time also, even in a warm bath, he more closely resembles a prune visually.  I am not familiar with this sort of appearance and raised a couple of sons and nephews.  My daughter is reluctant to do anything.  She said there was an issue with the circumcision, is there cause for action or concern?
Your grandson does sound to have a buried or trapper penis. A trapped penis is one whose shaft skin cannot be pulled back to expose the glans (glands) (head). This is related to circumcision (and does NOT represent a mistake in the procedure). The scarring that causes this often resolves on its own. A  buried penis is more consistent with your description. The glans (glands) can be exposed but the shaft skin does not seem to be applied to the shaft. There are several things going on, but the result is that the penis appears to be short or absent. It is of normal size and function, the issue  is cosmetic and ultimately possibly emotional. The problem can be surgically corrected. There are several different ways of doing so. A repeat circumcision is NOT one of them, however.
The reconstruction can be done at any age but I think that it should be done before it becomes an emotional issue for the child.
A pediatric urologist is the individual to see for correction.
Hope this helps.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.