Urology Community
trouble holding urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

trouble holding urine

I'm a 33 year old male that has been having trouble holding my urine.  The urge to urinate comes on very fast and furious. With little or no warning, and it has got to the point that there is some leakage. When I finally make it to the toilet, it is such a relief. However, the urinating is accompanied by a tingling and slight burning. Plain and simple, what could possibly be causing this problem?

This discussion is related to holding my urine.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
What you seem to be having is urinary incontinence. Urge incontinence is involuntary loss of urine occurring for no apparent reason while suddenly feeling the need or urge to urinate. The most common cause of urge incontinence is involuntary and inappropriate detrusor muscle contractions.Involuntary actions of bladder muscles can occur because of damage to the nerves of the bladder, to the nervous system (spinal cord and brain), or to the muscles themselves.

I’ll suggest consulting a urologist for the same and getting the uroflowmetry test done which actually tests the emptying of the urinary bladder. There are drugs to take care of the urge incontinence like oxybutinin but this needs to be taken only after consulting a urologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.