Urology Community
undescended testicles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

undescended testicles

my son has undescended testicles but his testcles go up and back down he is 11 years old his pediatrician refered him to a urologist and turned out that he has to have surgery to fix it. the surgery is called bilateral orchiopexy. i wanted to know is this surgery safe and will he have any complications and will he be able to have children in the future. can you please help me and answer asap because his surgery is next week.

I too was born with undescended testicles. My left came down before I was 1 but the right did not untill I was about 12 - 13.
Even after that my testicles would retract up into the inguinal region when cold or other other occasions. No orchiopexy was ever done.

I grew up without any problems and got married at the age of 25. At first it seemed that my wife and I had problems conceiving. Given my history, a semen sample was produced for analysis. It was found that I produce normal healthy sperm.

Even as an adult I had occasions where the testicles would retract up into the body.

At the age of about 36, I underwent a vasectomy as my wife and I had 3 biological children and one adopted son by than. I was also diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder and and a neurological condtion. In the past I had been having problems with infections in the testicles on a regular basis. It seemed to come after having had surgery, a TURP and resection of the bladderneck due to an obstruction. This was done in 1995.
I had read an article that indicated that men undergoing a prostatactomy underwent a vasectomy to prevent infections from spreading to the testicles.
My vasectomy had complications in the form of a left hematoma. This was removed in an emergency surgery resulting in a simmilar situation as orchiopexy of the left testicle.
The problem was that the testicle now was fixed in the scrotum and no longer moved independantly. This at times caused pain sitting down or ddoing things in which the left testicle would become trapped. I hated that sensation but was warned by the urologist that the loss of the testicle was a risk of any surgery.
About a year later I became very ill with a strep infection of this same testicle and had emergency surgery on my birthday to remove a now necrotic testicle.

In 2006 I ended up with emergency surgery to repair a right incarcerated right inquinal hernia. Even though I was lucky and the testicle was not involved the repair involved the use of mesh. As a result it is as if the remaining right testicle now is fixed like it would be in orchiopexy. Once again at times the testicle gets trapped and causes discomfort. As a result the testicle is fixed high up in the scrotum almost being pulled up in the inguinal canal. When I'm cold and nude it looks like I have no testicles at all.

If your son's testicles have come down into the scrotum, than I would not be worried about them moving back up on occasions. Fertility should not be a concern.

With any surgery there are risks and infections and or the loss of a testicle even though rare are a reall possibility. Had it not been for my other urological and neurological problems, I most likely would never have experienced any problems with the testicles at all.

If in your son's case the testicles are mostly retracted than one might consider orchiopexy. If everything goes right, the possibility of undetermined pain can be a possibility. I'm pleased that my parents and family doctor at the time were willing to delay things having left things as is. Should I have to do it over again, I hope that the same thing would be done again.

Your son being very young yet might very well get used to having his testes fixed in the scrotum. However each case is individual and unique. We can never predict the outcome of any surgical procedure like this.

I know of at least two people who have posted to this group who wished that their parents never would have conscented to orchiopexy. You will have to go with your own feelings and conviction. Remember that whatever you decided, there is no wrong decision. You have the best interest of your son in mind.
If you feel that I might be able to answer further concerns for you, please feel free to contact me.
All the best.

Ron
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The most significant complication of orchiopexy is testicular atrophy. Postoperative swelling and inflammation can result in ischemic injury and testicular atrophy. Apart from that there are side effects associated with any surgery like infection, swelling etc. So these should also be kept in mind and discussed with the doctor.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

hi my son is 8 years old and couple of days ago he told me he hasnt got one of his testicals i remember when he was younger taking him to doctors but they didnt say much as they found it and pushed it back down i am now really concerned as being a woman i dont really no uch about this he said he hasnt really ever been able to feel one which has scared me even more please can some one give me some advice.i have never had a dignosis on what ths could be .