Urology Expert Forum
ureteral stent
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

ureteral stent

My daughter in law is 28 wks preg. about 3 wk ago she fell hitting her back, she developed right flank pain and pain that radiated down into the right groin. She went to ER and they checked a ua and sent her home with Tylenol. She went to her primary Dr. and he told her to wait. 1 wk later they do an ultrasound on a Fri and the Dr calls and tells her to drink lots of water because she has "fluid around her kidney".  Mon she is miserable and we get a referral to a Urologist and she goes from his clinic to the hosp for a Cysto with Rt stent placed. He said he couldn't see a stone but that a twisted or bent ureter was not uncommon in pregnancy and that the stent would take care of everything.  She was back pain free for one day and then it started up again, she went to the ER and they said pain was normal and to follow the instructions of drinking lots of water and pain meds. Thurs she was still drinking lots of water and then developed a problem with frequency and low urine output, so I again advised going to the ER and the same Dr came and took her to OR and removed the stent and sent her home without any explanation except something about an infection with the stent, they did give an IV antibiotic during the first surgery.  What is she to do? She still has alot of pain in back and groin area.  He did not prescribe any antibiotics for her now.  She is drinking cranberry juice and water and taking frequent baths for comfort.  What will happen to her kidney? What should she do next? She is not malingering,
she has tolerated alot more pain than most.  I am afraid because she is 18 and not "asking" the right questions they are just putting her off.  Please advise. Grandma of 8 soon to be 9 in SD.  Thank you. PS they did RO a back injury.