Urology Community
urethra, bladder, flank pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

urethra, bladder, flank pain

30 yr old female, 3 children, 10 miscarriages, kidney stone during last pregnancy, no abdominal surgeries. About 2 weeks ago I started having shooting pain out of my urethra which turned into painful urination and painful bladder. I constantly felt like I had to pee something solid out. I have no vaginal discharge and have been w/the same man for over 5 years. I went to the doctor and the UA showed +3 RBC's and was a little concentrated, but no bacteria. MD prescribed antibiotics and pyridium for the pain, and sent me to a urologist. 30 minutes after I took pyridium, both kidneys felt like they were burning w/severe pain that lasted 5 minutes. My UA at urologist only had trace amount of blood but again no bacteria. By this time, what felt like my left kidney, started to ache. I could almost swear I could feel my urethra, bladder, ureter, and the left kidney hurt. He stated that I had cystitis or infection between layers of bladder but that I shouldn't be having flank pain. I had CT w/barium and dye. Showed no stones or obstructions or masses. No hydronephrosis. I do have a partial duplicate collecting systems w/bifid ureters. I also have 4 cm right ovarian cyst and moderate amount of free pelvic fluid. Then this morning I woke up w/my usual urethra and bladder pain. It then started radiating up my left side just at and below my ribs. It increased in severity until I was writhing in pain. After 45 minutes of this it got worse. My kidney (or it felt like it) felt like a knife that was on fire was stuck in my body, it radiating to the front, directly opposite of my left flank pain. I literally though something was coming apart in my body and that I was going to die. It suddenly stopped and I fell asleep w/exhaustion. I awoke 2 hrs later w/a dull ache but no alien trying to rip its way out of my body. Anyway, when I went pee, it looked bloody and then turned to orange (I've been peeing in urine cylinder in case of stone) and then the last amount of my pee wouldn't strain. I looked closely and it appear oily? I went back to urologist same day, and my UA only showed +1 RBC. Uro doc stated that since CT was normal, that there was no uro reason for my pain and there is no medical reason for my urine to look oily. I beg to differ. No I'm back to square one. I have to now go back to my medical doctor. I'm so scared that the awful pain I experienced will come back. I almost called 911 cuz I couldn't move (I've been thru 3 "natural" childbirths and can handle a lot of pain). Can someone help me? Also uro doc didn't do any blood work which I think is weird. He also didn't mention my possible ovarian cyst (not confirmed, cystic mass possilby ovarian) and my mom had breast CA at 34 and ovarian at 39. I should mention that I'm a nurse and have medical knowledge.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

As far as the urinary tract is concerned there seems to be no problem except for the bifid ureters . The RBC's were present every urinalysis but the range is acceptable. Now that you have mentioned that the symptoms persist and that pain seems to be the central complaint here, I am wondering if they have done a cystoscopy just to rule out the possibility of interstitial cystitis? Do you wake up at night to urinate?

At this point, get another evaluation by a gynecologist. You have mentioned that you had 10 miscarriages? Was there any underlying cause for these? Did you have any previous surgeries, dilatation and curettage?This will be significant.

A pap smear and pelvic ultrasound will be able to rule out any gynecologic involvement .They found nothing in your abdominal scan but still you are symptomatic.This may need a second look .
Thanks for replying. No, I have not have any surgeries or D&C. They were all very early miscarriages and most occurred in the past 18 months.  I haven't gotten to my gyno here (I just moved here 3 years ago).  I did have an abnormal pap and colposcopy last year in April. The colp showed the same as the pap and we are just doing a "wait and see" type thing with that. I do feel that I should have a ultrasound, especially for that cyst and perhaps to rule out other gyno problems.  I just can't get over how that excruciating pain felt like kidney pain...almost as if it was having difficulty filtering something I took.

I don't wake up to urinate at night, but this other pain I have been experiencing the past couple of weeks does wake me up between 4am to 6 am.  That's what it did this morning, but turned into something awful.