Urology Expert Forum
urinary leakage

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

urinary leakage

I am a 42 yo healthy male. About 5 months ago I began to have post void leakage. not a lot but is very frustrating. I'll leak some initially after urinating, or if I sit down etc right after urinating then after a while I can sit etc and no leakage. I had a cystography at my urologist office and everything looks fine. I am not sexually active right now - post divorce - and have no trouble maintaining an erection or ejaculating upon masturbating. Two possibilites - seeing a chiropractor who seems to think I've got a compressed nerve in my lower back ( he showed me on a chart how nerves in this area of the back affect the bladder) or just extreme stress I've been under for the past five years of going through a divorce and having a physically demanding job. Any thoughts?
Certainly spinal nerve compression, depending upon the nerve, can affect bladder emptying and you can develop the symptoms that most people think of when they consider prostate enlargement. You are quite young to be experiencing these symptoms on the basis of just prostate enlargement and to have such an isolated symptom on the basis of nerve compression is unlikely. Urethral strictures without a history of  urethral infection (primarily   gonorrhea) or severe urethral trauma/ catheterization in the past is also unlike. Anatomic variations such as a Cowper's duct cyst or an enlarged prostatic utrical are also unlikely to suddenly appear.
Most of the time I see this symptoms related to other symptoms of prostatic changes in older men. They usually respond to alpha blockers such a Hytrin, Flomax, Cardura.
My gut reaction is that there is nothing seriously wrong with you and it may have something to do with stress. If nothing is found by the completion of your evaluation, I suggest that you accept these symptoms as evidence of your body getting older and leave things alone until and if they truly influence your lifestyle.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only. It
does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Henry Ford  Hospital  or the
Vattikuti Urologic Institute.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic
and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical  condition.
i have the same exact problem...went to the doc and got a prostate exam, urine culture, ect. he thinks its prostatitis but i haven't seen any relief yet. I am on a course of cipro for 2 weeks. Your not alone man! I would look into the possibility of prostatitis if i were you. I have had the issue for about a year or so. I am not sure if sexual activity has anything to do with it or not. Best of luck.
thanks for the reply. Tests have revealed prostate is perfectly normal. going to an M.D. who thinks it might be a urethrel stricture.- usually caused by injury even from years past. The urologist did a cystography and he thought my urethra looked normal - however this new doc said the urologist wasn't looking for a stricture. The 37 yo chiropractor in his office has had the exact same problem. I'm on day 3 of 10 of course of levoquin 500mg. Any thoughts or maybe this may help you.
Best of luck to you too
i too am scheduled to meet with a urologist about a possible stricture...not looking forward to the camera experience but from what i hear it is a painless and simple procedure. I am hoping that you and i both get these things taken care of!! i have more antibiotics than a drugstore thanks to my family doctor and this whole fiasco.
hi guys, im a 24 year old male with the same problems, had the camera exsperience georger and its fine honest,he said everything was fine. but i still have the same problems as u discribed in your first post. i went back and he said it was an exstensive test and theres nothing wrong. so now i dont know what to do. am i going toilet wrong, is it in my head , i just dont know what to do. its on my mind constantly and i dont know if thats why it happens. i know what ur going through. its hard .