Urology Expert Forum
urinary retension after general anesthesia
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

urinary retension after general anesthesia

I am a healthy 37 year old female and a mother of three children which I gave birth to naturally.  I'm 140 lbs and I used to hike and swim regularly. Two and a half weeks ago I had my gall bladder removed because they found polyps during an abdominal ultrasound and I was told they could become malignant and the best thing to do was have it out. "A simple procedure" I was told. After I woke up from the surgery, I was unable to void any urine and the next day I ended up in the ER where they catheterized me for 3 days.  I was told general anesthesia can cause your bladder to stop working.  When the catheter was removed, I was placed on Cipro 500mg twice daily for an infection. One day after starting the Cipro, I had excruciating pain in my upper right abdomen and ended up in ER again.  After 5 days in pain (worse than labor pain), a GI doctor discovered I had a leak in a secondary bile duct and placed a stent to repair it.  During that time I was in and out of hospital and I had to be catheterized again for a couple of days.  I was also on IV demerol and morphine for pain. I am finally pain free and back to work but I have a hard time urinating.  I feel like I can't empty my bladder.  I'm drinking plenty of fluids but very little urine comes out. I have to force it out.  Where is all the water going? I saw a PA in a urologists office who seemed to think that I have urethral stenosis as a result of frequent catheterizations, and he recommended dilation.  I had this done today but I am no better than I was yesterday.  Ultrasound revealed I have about 250 ml of urine in my bladder.  The PA suggested the urologist do cystoscopy to see If I have a blockage.  How can that be?  I didn't have any problems before the gall bladder surgery. I feel like it must be related to either the gas they used to inflate my abdomen for surgery or the anesthesia. I'm very frustrated and I just want to get back to normal. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to resolve this problem.  I,m scared that it's not going to get better. Any suggestions?
Sincerely, Phyllisb.