Urology Expert Forum
urinary tract infection and prostate infection

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

About 2 months ago my husband had a physical and had a psa test done as well.He also took a urine test which showed no indication of an infection. He is 41 years old. His psa level came back at 6.0. He was referred to a Urologist who put him on Cipro and had him take a urine test. The test came back and indicated that he had a uti.The test showed blood in the urine along with high high white cell count. Could the uti have caused the psa to rise? Or did he get the uti from the prostate being infected? A repeat of the psa test after the antibiotics showed a level of 4.7. He was told to take Augmentin for 7 days again. Was this long enough? Does this mean his infection is being caused by the prostate or coming from the urinary tract. Is he being treated properly? He had no symptoms to begin with. How do we know if he gets it again (since he had no symptoms to begin with). How do we prevent this from happening again and finally is this something I may have given him and I should have been treated as well. Another concern I have is that he had a strep infection in June. Could it have come from that? Also, how is it that the first urine test showed no uti and the one taken 2 weeks later showed a full blown infection.

Thank you for your help.
It is likely a prostate infection that can be caused by a UTI.  The PSA was noted to decrease following treatment with antibiotics, suggesting that the prostate infection may be the cause of the elevated PSA.  

Typically prostatitis is treated for 10-14 days, sometimes even longer if the infection is chronic.  It seems that between the Cipro and Augmentin, the length of the therapy is adequate.  Both antibiotics are appropriate for prostatitis.

It is unlikely that the strep infection contributed to the symptoms. As for the urine tests - it is possible that the prostate was infected first, and then later spread into a UTI later on.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.