Urology Community
urinary tract infection by streptococcus viridans???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I have constant pain in my urethra for a long time and painful ejaculation and I pointed out to my doctors that my sperm has green and jelly-like parts but laboratory tests never found anything but last results showed that I have streptococcus virandi present in my sperm. I want to point that in the meantime I had no sexual intercourses nor NEW symptoms. How dangerous is this bacteria for reproductive system?  Could it be cause of all my problems? I have found a lot of material that it can be cause of endocarditis and pneumonia but no article with more information about urinary tract infection except that it can be cause of it.

Thanks a lot in advance
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Greenish-colored semen is a sign of infection. This infection can occur anywhere along the epididymis, prostate gland or involve all the structures from the testes onward.

Streptococcus viridans is usually a repiratory pathogen but has been known to spread through oral-genital contact.

Antibiotic therapy for S. viridans infection includes penicillin, cephazolin, gentamicin, etc.
Most of the medical treatment for viridans infection is administered IV?IM. SO, the best antibiotic for this strain of bacteria should be determined by culture sensitivity to determine an antibiotic for effective treatment.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Regards
Thx a lot for your interest in helping me Dr Mathews.

Concernining that i have these symptoms for a long time and labaratory tests were negative since last time, is it possible that former labarotory(i have changed it this time) didn't make proper tests for this bacteria concerning that it is very rare present in urinary tract? New labaratory has found it but didn't make culture sensitivity tests Again I would point that i had no sexual intercourses in the meantime cause emberassing painful symptoms make sex undesirable..

I want to add that I had chlamidial infection but it was cured easily by tetracyclins 3 years ago but most of sypmtoms remained. As I have read streptococcus virandi is not sensitive to Tetracycline(dovicin) and I only noticed temporaly progression in look and volume of semen when i used ofloxacin (vysiren). It looked to me that it catched the cause but was not strong enough to completely destroy it.

On Friday i will meet my doctor and see what he will suggest. I will keep you informed about progression.

Thx one more time and I hope that I will solve this longlasting trouble soon.
In this text I just made mistake in spelling the name i thought of course "streptococcis viridans" not "virandi" I havent found edit option so i post this correction.
What's the story. Did you reslove this issue? If so, please provide some details. I have a similar problem but it is prostitis. I'm taking cephspan, which should be effective, to fight this one. I took levo floxin for 3 weeks but it didn't do the trick. I need to be on anti biotics for 3-6 weeks maybe longer.