Urology Expert Forum
urine retention at night

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

urine retention at night
my urine flow during the day is normal, but very bad at night, when I go 4 o 5 times with only 1-2 ounces each time.  My urologist cannot explain why this is, and is recommending an operation to widen my uretheter, but first I want to know why it is only at night. Would sleeping partially upright help, and is there a bedframe for this? How about a stationary bike at 3am?
I'm sure that the urologist has considered the prostate - and made sure that a thorough digital rectal exam was performed to evaluate for any enlargement.  Other tests to consider would be a PSA (prostate specific antigen) blood test or a transrectal ultrasound to evaluate the prostate.  I would also check the urine via a urinalysis for any infection.

Regarding any urethral strictures or anatomical abnormalities, you may want to consider a cystoscopy to evaluate if this is the case.  

I do not have a good explanation why this only occurs at night.  It is unlikely that changing your sleeping position would help.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.