Urology Expert Forum
urine test stick results - should i worry

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

burning in kidneys

Sent by lwack 1 minute
having a burning sensation in my kidneys and nausea I did a urine test strip first thing this morning.  All results were fine apart from trace leukocytes, highest specific gravity and highest ketones.

I do not take medication and do not feel unwell enough to go to the doctor

I am not sure what these mean and should I worry?
Thanks for posting your query.

High specific gravity and ketones are present in dehydration (drinking less amount of fluid, diarrhea, vomiting, excessive sweating) and starvation. Drink plenty of water (at least 8 glasses) and eat healthy food. But you also need to get your blood sugar levels checked as high specific gravity and ketones can be found in glycosuria.

Glycosuria is the excretion of glucose into the urine. It is caused by elevated blood glucose levels, most commonly due to untreated diabetes mellitus.

In nondiabetic persons, ketonuria may occur during acute illness or severe stress. If you have been in the convalescent phase of any acute illness then it can also cause raised ketones and high specific gravity.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

I came back from Egypt 4 weeks ago and had 'Egypt tummy' cramps, diarrhea for a few weeks so it could possibly be the result of this, as you say.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Much apreciated