Urology Community
urologist doesn't know what is wrong

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

urologist doesn't know what is wrong

For about 6 months now, I have had irritation in my bladder. Sometimes it burns, and sometimes it just feels like I have to go all the time. I went to the emergency room because I thought I had a kidney infection (discomfort in my kidneys), but they couldn't find one and gave me antibiotics. The antibiotics irritated my bladder really bad.

I started seeing a urologist, and he said that the x-rays of my kidneys and bladder were clean, as was my urine. He prescribed some medication that was supposed to help, but it was going to take 3 months to work. The medicine irritated my bladder just like the antibiotics did.

Sometimes food affects my bladder (chocolate and dairy), and sometimes it is just irritated on its own. What is wrong with me? Should I try to find another urologist?
im not sure because im no doctor but it sounds  to me like you may have a Urinary Tract Infection it could cause kidney infection if left untreated i dont know whats goin on with you and the meds but mabe u could try drinking cranbury juice and drinking lots of water to wash out the bladder or mabe you would need to get a bladder irrigation but yea please try doing these two things so it wouldnt get that bad u need to irrigate your bladder thats not the most pleasureful feeling
Since it's 2011 you may have already dealt with this issue, but if not here's my schpeel:

I am 17 (male) and have had exactly the same symptoms as you. It could be caused by one of two things. A bladder stricture (an obstruction of scar tissue in the urinary tract causing the bladder to become irritated easily), or just anxiety.

Anxiety is the most likely cause and is what I found to be the cause of mine. I had a cystoscopy performed, which involves a camera going up you know where. They found no stricture.

Anxiety is a hard thing to deal with. Sometimes you don't even know you are anxious but you really are. This can cause the bladder and other parts of your body to become irritated. In terms of ways of coping, there are many things you can do. The things that work for me are St. John's Wort- a herbal supplement that relieves stress. The other thing is breathing. Take 10-20 minutes a day to consciously breath deeply into your stomach. This will balance the oxygen levels in your body. One note: you may experience muscle tension or seizing. This is normal and will happen less if you breath more often.

I would recommend talking to your urologist and ruling out the stricture possibility. This will require a cystoscopy.

Hope this helps,
Jack