Urology Community
uti symptoms, no uti

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

uti symptoms, no uti

I have had what seems like a UTI for over 2 months now. I had many urinalyses done. At first, bacteria did show up. After 1 round of antibiotics, I still felt the burning and spasms with urination. I went back, showed protein in my urine, and no bacteria. I thought it was kidney problems. I got more antibiotics, and they sent my urine for a culture and came back negative. After the antibiotics, I had tests showing white blood cells but no bacteria and another time nitrites but no bacteria. They told me nitrites indicated a UTI, but there was no bacteria. I went on a third round of antibiotics. Afterward, my test was clear. However, I have still had the burning and spasms. It feels better right after I chugged water, but I have never had a sensitive bladder, so I didn't think it could be IC could it? And I never had red blood cells, so I don't think it could be cancer either. It's driving me crazy, and I don't know what to think. The lymph nodes in my groin are also swollen now. This could be related to something else, but I thought they typically meant there was an infection.
but I have never had a sensitive bladder, so I didn't think it could be IC could it?

For some patients IC hits suddenly, and yes it could be IC.  About 1/3 patients with IC say a UTI was the original trigger.  Most specialist do not think IC is caused by infection, a few swear it is.  Either way there seems that some patients get IC after an infection Since it is thought that somehow the irritation or inflammation from the infection does not go away, then that could explain the swollen lymph glands.

However, chronic infections do not always show up on standard UA or cultures, many bacteria do not use nitrates so that is not 100% either.  The big questions is did
or do your symptoms improve on the antibiotics or not?

If they do, you need to find a doctor who treats chronic or complicated infections.

If they don't you need to ask your doctor if they think it could be IC?  If it turns out
it is IC, pm me and I will give you some links for help!

Shelly
IC patient and Support Group leader, MOARK IC
no the symptoms never have seemed to improve with antibiotics, azo, or anything they prescribed me
oh and is ic something that ever goes away? or do you just have to learn to live with it?
I 'm having the same problem. Had a culture confirmed UTI a month ago and completed the antibiotic treatment but still have significant pain in the urethra - not just when urinating, but all the time. Antibiotics give no relief. Second culture was negative but at my GP's insistence I just began round 2 of treatment with a different antibiotic which is causing such impressive side effects, I may not be able to continue taking them. Last urinalysis showed red blood cells but nothing else. GP said last culture could be false negative due to the recent use of antibiotics, but I really doubt I still have an infection. As someone else said earlier, I think this is caused by continuing inflammation / irritation left from the infection. I experienced this same situation a few years ago. The pain finally went away but it took several months. There are things you can do to try to reduce aggravating your bladder by modifiying diet, etc. You can find good tips at IC support sites, even if you don't have IC. I have had plenty of UTIs in my life but they never were this much trouble until I went through menopause. The tissues in the urinary tract and the vagina can become fragile and painful due to lack of estrogen. I hope you (and I) get better soon - being in constant pain for months is no fun.
a new symptom came up yesterday. i had cloudy urine with a light "odor". i researched it, and it said uti. however, that was only once, and the pain is down a bit, so i ignored it. i have also had anal pain for a few weeks now though. it is not like pressure but i guess stinging you might say. i also saw that this could be a sign of infection. i have had the same doctors tell me there was no bacteria for so long, but now i wonder should i go back once more?