Urology Expert Forum
varicocele embolization

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

varicocele embolization

I am a 23 year old male and I have had surgical repair on a left(large) varicocele.  I had the surgery done about 4 years ago and now the varicocele has reoccured.  It is again a large left varicocele and it causes me some pain.  The pain can get pretty bad sometimes but I take Motrin to alleviate the pain and that seems to calm it down a little.  Recently, I went back to my Urologist and he said not to worry about the varicocele despite the pain and to just come back in a year.  He also said "don;t let anyone touch that area down there."  I guess he thinks that some doctors are trigger happy when it comes to varicocele repair.(P.S. this doctor is not the one who performed the surgery the first time).  I took his advice and just went on experiencing some pain here and there.  Last week the pain was just too annoying so I went to another Urologist to get a second opinion. He had me do a scrotal(Doppler)ultrasound(which confirmed a large varicocele again and a bit of testicular atrophy) and he wants me to do a semen analysis.  I had a semen analysis done(by the first Urologist, hence the reason why he probably told me not to worry about it) about 3 months ago and it was normal, so I don't no how much semen quality can change from one month to another.  Could it be possible that the varicocele got larger from 3 months ago?  He also said I should have a varicocele embolization done because that is the procedure performed for recurrent varicoceles and it's less invasive.  I don't know about this procedure because I have read that there is a lot or radiation exposure in the procedure.  Is that true, if so, how much?  Is this really dangerous and can this cause cancer?  Also, does varicocele embolization fix the varicocele sufficiently so that this does not occur a third time?  I am nervous about this procedure because I think that my varicocele will yet agian come back again and again.  What are the success rates?  Also, I don't know what doctor's advice I should take because they both seem to be at the opposite side of the spectrum.  I liked both doctor's and they both seemed to be informative and competent but you never know.  If you could give me as much information about the varicocele embolization procedure and if you could at least give me some direction with my situation, it would be much appreciated.  I also workout or excersie on a regular basis. Does that make varicoeles worse and if I were to have a varicocele embolization done would I have to stop working out with wieghts.  I appreciate your time and advice in advance and have a great day.  Once again thanks.
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Out surgical colleague has very kindly posted an informative FAQ that addresses your issues.  It is unlikely that I can add any more information to that.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0
0
0