Urology Expert Forum
varicocele

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

varicocele

I was diagnosed with left varicocele at the age of 16. Reading the articles with tc I was wondering if there was any connection with varicocele and tc? Also, can varicocele cause swelling of the epididymis?  Once every couple of months I have pain round the epididymis that is there for a few hours then leaves is this pasible?
In general, varicoceles are not associated with testicular cancer.  If the varicocele is isolated on the right side (which is very rare), it can be associated with renal cell carcinoma.  

The swelling of the varicocele can be mistaken for swelling of the epididymis, however I am not aware of a direct correlation.  

If you have continued pain in the scrotum, you may want to consider repair of the varicocele.  Another consideration would be a repeat of the scrotal ultrasound to make sure that there are no other scrotal disease present (i.e. cysts or spermatoceles).  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.