Urology Community
varicocele

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

varicocele

Hi I had a ultra sonography for scrotom and the doctor says my veins are weak and thats why I am feeling pain in the left side of the scrotum.
Some times the pain also occurs on the right side.I onserved that when I have some abdomen pain scortal pain is there.
The ultra sonography results says :Billateral small varicocele  is seen
The left vien is 4 mm and right is 3.8.
Doctor has suggested to get operated and I am not sure if I would like to go for a operation.
I have a couple of questions
Is that the only solution(operation)?Any alternate remedies?
Will this cause erectile dysfunction?/
Or may be hernia? as I am a sports person and involved in lot of running and ab excercise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Sandy

Thanks for writing to the forum!
If the varicocele is asymptomatic and infertility is not an issue, no treatment is required. Mild discomfort can be managed by wearing an athletic supporter or snug-fitting underwear during strenuous activity or exercise. However if the person wants to be a father in future, it is better to get it operated. Varicoceles are known to cause infertility as they affect sperm production. Usually it will not effect ejaculation unless complications arise. Also for a sports person, beyond a point it will be difficult to maintain a high activity level with symptomatic varicocele. Treatment options are surgical ligation, embolization and laparoscopic approach. Also you would need to maintain a diet rich in fibers and multivitamins and low on refined carbohydrates to bring strength to the surgical site and also to avoid constipation and straining. This will prevent recurrence too.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
They can cause hydroceles as a surgical complications and are not known to cause hernia unless there is strain on the surgical site.