Vaginal Mesh - Surgical Repair Expert Forum
Any link in autoimmune flare-ups with vaginal mesh placement?
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about vaginal mesh implants used for Pelvic Organ Prolapse and certain Pelvic Floor disorders. This is also a place to ask questions you may have about complications you are currently (or have) experiencing due to a mesh implant.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Any link in autoimmune flare-ups with vaginal mesh placement?

I had the vaginal mesh surgery a year ago last August and since then I have had several side-effects.  My SUI has returned, as well as some very painful bowel movements (even though I had the surgery for a cystocele) and UTI-like symptoms.  I have a variety of auto-immune disorders as well, and was wondering if any auto-immune disorder flare-ups or reoccurences have been linked with this surgery, being that the material used is synthetic.  One of my disorders is a skin condition called vitiligo, and I've had the condition for 20 years.  Previous to this surgery, I have not had any changes or "new spots" in about 8 years, however within the last 9 months I have had a MAJOR flare-up of vitiligo, and about 20% of my body now has new spots.  
Please let me know if it is possible that the reoccurance of my vitiligo could be a result of my body trying to reject the synthetic mesh.