Vaginal Mesh - Surgical Repair Expert Forum
Any link in autoimmune flare-ups with vaginal mesh placement?

This is a place to ask questions about vaginal mesh implants used for Pelvic Organ Prolapse and certain Pelvic Floor disorders. This is also a place to ask questions you may have about complications you are currently (or have) experiencing due to a mesh implant.

I had the vaginal mesh surgery a year ago last August and since then I have had several side-effects.  My SUI has returned, as well as some very painful bowel movements (even though I had the surgery for a cystocele) and UTI-like symptoms.  I have a variety of auto-immune disorders as well, and was wondering if any auto-immune disorder flare-ups or reoccurences have been linked with this surgery, being that the material used is synthetic.  One of my disorders is a skin condition called vitiligo, and I've had the condition for 20 years.  Previous to this surgery, I have not had any changes or "new spots" in about 8 years, however within the last 9 months I have had a MAJOR flare-up of vitiligo, and about 20% of my body now has new spots.  
Please let me know if it is possible that the reoccurance of my vitiligo could be a result of my body trying to reject the synthetic mesh.

I have heard this type of report about autoimmune flareups from several of my mesh erosion patients now. THe polypropelene mesh is supposed to be non-immunogenic, meaning that it is not supposed to generate an immune response. The animal and human based meshes theoretically could be immunogenic, but they are usually so highly processed that immune response should be unlikely. Nevertheless, based on many patient reports of immune type reactions, this is a question that probably needs to be studied further. Of note, I have had a couple of patients say that their immune type symptoms improved once the mesh was removed surgically. Regarding your complaints of SUI, and UTI like symptoms, I have had several patients complain of these symptoms. Similar for bowel movement problems. Your best bet would be to get evaluated by a well trained urogynecologist, who can likely remove the mesh if it turns out to be sausing the SUI and bowel problems.