Vaginal Mesh - Surgical Repair Expert Forum
Bladder sling problems

This is a place to ask questions about vaginal mesh implants used for Pelvic Organ Prolapse and certain Pelvic Floor disorders. This is also a place to ask questions you may have about complications you are currently (or have) experiencing due to a mesh implant.

Bladder sling problems

I am a 40 year old basically healthy woman.  In December 2010, I had a partial hysterectomy (due to fibroids) and a Monarch bladder sling (due to 5 pregnancies!).  I have been having complications from the Monarch bladder sling since April 2011.  I have a lot of pelvic pain, bladder infections, painful intercourse and was also told that I have an erosion.  My doctor "snipped" off the exposed mesh (which he said was in the "center" and was as wide as the mesh itself) and he told me it would heal on its own.  I used premarin cream for weeks and am still having pain,  Now it seems as if my incontinence is recurring.  Is this normal?  What can I do to resolve this issue?
THe incontinence can sometimes recure if the sling is "snipped". For my patients, I remove the whole sling, and replace it wuth a sling made from your own tissue  (Called an autologous fascial sling). That procedure takes longer to perform, but tends to fix the incontinence. It should only be performed by surgeons who are well trained to do it. I hope you will find this helpful.