Vaginal Mesh - Surgical Repair Expert Forum
Implant Mesh Additional Surgery

This is a place to ask questions about vaginal mesh implants used for Pelvic Organ Prolapse and certain Pelvic Floor disorders. This is also a place to ask questions you may have about complications you are currently (or have) experiencing due to a mesh implant.

Implant Mesh Additional Surgery

I had complete pelvic prolapse surgery in May 2011 and went to the doctor today because of vaginal pain and bleeding. I was told the mesh had eroded and now I face an additional surgery and since I live in small town I have to got to a larger city 31/2 hour drive away to see a doctor to preform the surgery..I am upset wit good reason. Has anyone been in this situation and can tell me what I am facing with this coming up surgery. Also is this just the first of others? My local OB/GYN was very sorry to give me this news, I could tell in his face I am not on my way to a picnic.I have had nothing but problems since I had this mesh implant, wish I could go back and been given a different choice.This is a long question, but I needed to vent too, thank you..It sux to be me today!!
Sorry to read of your problem.  

The use of transvaginal mesh for repair of vaginal vault prolapse has come under some scrutiny lately.  However, the use of mesh to repair prolapse has been successfully used by many surgeons and results have been excellent.  The reason mesh is often used is because of the higher failure rates of repairs with absorbable grafts and older traditional repairs.  

All surgeries carry risk and the use of mesh in prolapse repair does present an additional risk of erosion or extrusion of the mesh through the vagina or other areas.  The rate of erosion or extrusion ranges from approximately 0 to 20 percent with most quoting a 10 percent rate.  Each surgeon should be able to tell you his or her erosion or extrusion rate for a particular procedure.  Most mesh exposures are minor and simple in office treatments usually are successful to correct the issue.  However, some larger exposures will require a second surgery with removal of the exposed mesh and repair of the defect.  This too is generally not a difficult procedure.  Mesh erosions into the urinary bladder or rectum however represent a much more serious complication and require a more involved surgery.

Experienced surgeons should perform the treatment of mesh complication.  Repairs are often successful with good results.  

J. Kyle Mathews, MD