Vaginal Mesh - Surgical Repair Expert Forum
Is mesh essential if a choose surgery for cystocele

This is a place to ask questions about vaginal mesh implants used for Pelvic Organ Prolapse and certain Pelvic Floor disorders. This is also a place to ask questions you may have about complications you are currently (or have) experiencing due to a mesh implant.

About 20 months ago I had a resection rectopexy for a bowel intussusception and a vaginal hysterectomy for a prolapse.  I have a rectocele which both surgeons decided was moderate and could be left untreated.  However, this does cause some problems when I have a BM but with a correct diet not too major.  

I have been experiencing some discomfort for the past couple of weeks and yesterday was diagnosed with a cystocele Grade 1 by my GP and have booked in to see a urogyn.  Would the rectocele left unattended have contributed to this most recent problem?  What options do you think I may have with regard to treatment.  Is surgery using mesh likely to be the only way for me and if so what, would be the safest kind of mesh to use.  Feeling very anxious about what is happening to my body - any help from you would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much
The rectocele would not have caused a cystocele.  It is however possible to have an anterior component of a rectocele or enterocele.  Your urogyn should be able to help you with this issue. Repair of cystocele, rectocele, etc. can be successfully performed without the use of mesh.  Mesh is often used in more sever cases and in those cases where prior repairs have failed.  If mesh is to be used, most surgeons will have a favorite.  Lighter weight mesh material appear to have some advantages but it matters more who places the mesh than what mesh they used.  Make sure your surgeon is very experienced is they are going to use transvaginal mesh.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD