Vaginal Mesh - Surgical Repair Expert Forum
Ongoing lower ab pain - problems with my sling?

This is a place to ask questions about vaginal mesh implants used for Pelvic Organ Prolapse and certain Pelvic Floor disorders. This is also a place to ask questions you may have about complications you are currently (or have) experiencing due to a mesh implant.

I had a total hysterectomy in 2007 and as part of the procedure, a urologist corrected my bladder prolapse with one of the slings.  While I don't recall exactly what product was used, I do remember him describing it as a mesh that, with the passage of time, scar tissue builds around it to create a secure attachment.  While intercourse has never been totally comfortable since, I assumed it was a small price to pay for the other benefits I received.  Fast forward to fall of 2011 when I noticed my stress incontinence was returning slightly. In March I developed a lower ab pain  hip to hip which felt like sore muscles from a workout.  Two weeks later I was in my local ER on a Saturday night with pain so severe I couldn't stand straight.  They found nothing wrong.  By Monday morning my pain was better so I went to work.  After standing on my feet for 3 hours (teacher) the intense pain had returned.  I left at lunch to see my general physician.  She reviewed my CAT scan from the ER and sent me to radiology for an internal and external sonogram.  Inconclusive.  Next day, same story  Doctor admitted me to a larger hospital in Tyler, Tx where another CAT scan was performed.  Nothing.  I was released the next day but had to spend the remainder of the week off work and in bed. I am able to work but I don't dare lift anything.  While the pain is no longer as intense, it still hurts as I stand up or sit down.  It hurts to climb into bed or turn over during the night.  Heaven forbid I sneeze or cough.  

Could this be a problem with my sling?  How can I be in so much pain and sonograms nor CAT scans show everything is where it needs to be?  I'm scared, frustrated and guess my next move is a urogyno to confirm/rule out my sling as the problem.    I'm tired of hurting and now wondering what garish procedures are in my future to try and get some answers.  Since we're close to summer and I'm a teacher, is it safe to wait until June to pursue further testing?

Advice?
Sorry to read of your problem.  It would be unusual to have symptoms such as you describe from a sling done in 2007 and have negative findings on  CT and Ultrasound.   MRI may be of some benefit and an evaluation of the urinary bladder and colon may also be in order.  I would suggest you see a urogynecologist for further evaluation.  Thank you for your question.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD
It's ironic you answered this message today.  I called your office this afternoon and scheduled an appointment for June 4th....the first week day after school is out and my teaching duties are behind me for a bit.  Until then, it's lift NOTHING heavier than a bar of soap and take ibuprofen twice a day.  I am truly miserable and wondering if I have a situation where a portion of sling has pulled loose on my right side.....enough that it's causing the pain but not enough that anything it's supporting has shifted or fallen.

See you on June 4th.
I hear you  im having the same pain as u did did you ever find out what causes it and what was done