Vaginal Mesh - Surgical Repair Expert Forum
Spotting blood

This is a place to ask questions about vaginal mesh implants used for Pelvic Organ Prolapse and certain Pelvic Floor disorders. This is also a place to ask questions you may have about complications you are currently (or have) experiencing due to a mesh implant.

Spotting blood

Hi and thank you for this site!
I am 53 yrs and I had a total hysterectomy in May of 1994. My problem is I have had spotting of blood since 03/07/11, the only other symptom with it is urine leakage but it's almost as if they are hand in hand. I wear very thin pads and sometimes there is no urine only blood. Once again my only symptoms are urine and blood nothing else. I was given some blood tests a cystoscopy and a biopsy in which he said came back normal, I was then diagnosed with Vaginal Atrophy and told to use a estrogen cream put on topically twice per week for six months. I have noticed the last two weeks it has gotten less frequent although it was only after suffering for almost a week of horrible cramping with lots of blood and a horrible pain of pressure (as a women would have when giving birth-it felt like everything was pushing down trying to get out), after that the blood spotting and urine leakage was "less". I went back to the urologist office today (given a cytology test), and they said I had no blood in my urine however, this morning before going and every day just about before that there has been blood/urine on my pads, when I told the nurse this he said to go see a OBGYN. I have read the symptoms of Vaginal Atrophy and I have to say I have no other symptoms so I am wondering if it might be something else? Do you think I should get a second opinion or should I take the wait and see attitude? I would VERY much appreciate your time and expertise as this has been like a never-ending nightmare for me!
THANK YOU!
YES get a second opinion.  I would suggest you see a Urogynecologist.  The source of the blood needs to be determined and evaluation of possible urine associated with it.  Taking a Azo or Pyridium tab with turn your urine orange and is an easy test to see if what you are seeing is urine. Bleeding after a hysterectomy is most often the result of granulation tissue at the back of the vaginal cuff at the closure site.  This should be obvious on exam if present.  

Thank you for your question.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD