Vaginal Mesh - Surgical Repair Expert Forum
t-sling

This is a place to ask questions about vaginal mesh implants used for Pelvic Organ Prolapse and certain Pelvic Floor disorders. This is also a place to ask questions you may have about complications you are currently (or have) experiencing due to a mesh implant.

t-sling

Do all slings have mesh?  Who is the manufacturer of the t-slin or are there various ones?  My surgery report just says t-sling placed.   I have all kinds of problems since my surgery in December of 2012.  I am almost 4 months out and numb on my rt labia, anus, and rt buttocks.  After returning to my sit down job 6 weeks post op, I immediately knew I had much bigger and more severe problems than just a vagina and anus that was numb.  I could no longer sit in my office chair without a severe burning sensation going through my buttocks, lower back, rt hip, behind knee area, and down between and under my 4th and 5th toe. The pain was confirmed Sciatica by an EMG and I also was DX with Piriformis syndrome and received an injection for that with little relief, if any.  I was referred out for PT but I was not improving as well as expected so I was told to stop treatment.  The therapist did not feel I was ready for any strengthening or stretching exercises because of my weird pains I was describing to him.  I told him I feel like I have a broken glass jar full of yellow jackets in my vagina stinging me all of the time. I also feel like a golf ball is in my anus and when I sit in a chair that someone is playing tug of war with my pubic hairs. Something also feels like it pulls where my buttocks and back of thigh meet.  I was referred out to a pain mgmt specialist 4hrs away and I will have to get a Pudendal and Coccyx block on first visit and then return later to work on the Sciatica since he said they are different types of nerves. Visceral/Somatic.  I  saw the OB last week but he seems to think it is all back related. Back of the butt related.:-)  

It would be unlikely that a mid urethral sling would cause Sciatica.  Positioning during the procedure can stretch the nerve but most of these procedures take very little time to complete.  There are slings made of absorbable materials and you can use your own tissue to make a sling.  I would suggest you see your surgeon or get a second opinion from a Urologist or Urogynecologist. J. Kyle Mathews, MD