Vaginal Rejuvenation & Surgery Expert Forum
itch/redness in the vaginal area

Vaginal Rejuvenation is surgery to tighten the inside of the vaginal canal, the opening of the vagina and supporting structures to improve sensation and sexual function. This forum is for questions that pertain to the following topics, Labia Surgery, Labiaplasty, Excess Clitoral Hood Reduction, Vaginal Rejuvenation, Vaginal Tightening, Perineoplasty and Hymen Restoration.

itch/redness in the vaginal area
, I've developed a terrible itch/redness in the vaginal area about 5 days prior to my period; it goes away 2 or 3 days after I 'start.'  
Might you be using a panty shield prior to your period?  We often see patients develop allergies to panty shields (alway brand is the most common).  Cyclic external irritation is often the result of irritation caused by contact with some type of allergen.  Soaps, detergents, fabric softeners, etc. and cause allergic reactions.  I instruct patients to wash their underwear in Woolite, White Cotton underwear only, no thongs, no fabric softeners, and use a neutorgena soap. If none of this applies to you, you will need to be seen at the time of your symptoms to have a culture done.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD