Varicose Veins Community
Purple spots after bandage squeezed too much

Varicose veins are swollen, twisted veins that you can see just under the surface of the skin. These veins usually occur in the legs, but they also can form in other parts of the body. Discuss topics including spider veins, symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

Hello! I'm a guy, 30 y/o, completely healthy and with no known diseases.

Five days ago I had a surgery on my right thumb. After the surgery was finished the chirugeon wrapped my foot with a bandage. I didn't realize it was too squeezed until the 3rd day after surgery I took a look at my 4 little fingers and they were quite dark. I immediately cut off the bandage and the following day they have regained some colour but still not the normal colour. In fact, and they present a darker colour than the fingers of the foot which has not been operated, and the two most little fingers now have purple spots on them (one big spot each, on their side). Also the sole of my foot has, at either side, those purple or dark red spots, and there is one at the side of the feet, up from where the bandage was.

I believe that must be due to poor oxygen supply during those 3 days because the blood didn't reach the extreme of the foot properly (big medical fault IMO). My father is a high-altitude mountain climber and he says it sometimes happens in the mountains because of the lack of oxygen, but those spots should dissappear given some time.

My questions are: do you think it could be because the bandage was too squeezed? Will the spots go away in some time? Could I suffer any permanent damage or negative consequences? If so, which?

I am a bit worried so I would really appreciate if you could help me. Thank you very much.