Varicose Veins Community
Sudden, rapidly spreading varicose veins?

Varicose veins are swollen, twisted veins that you can see just under the surface of the skin. These veins usually occur in the legs, but they also can form in other parts of the body. Discuss topics including spider veins, symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

Beginning about two months ago, I had a sudden onset of varicose veins that have been spreading rapidly. It started with lumps on either side of my groin, which I thought were hernias but ultrasound proved to be large veins. I then had both raised and more visible veins progress down the inside of my thighs (GSV), behind my knees, on the backs of my thighs, the insides and fronts of my calves, and the backs and sides of both ankles. Now I have dilated veins appearing in the suprapubic area, extending to a few inches below my navel. These are about six vertical veins and some seem to be linked to the groin varices. Before the first veins showed up, I had been exercising rather strenuously for a couple of months. I also have a history of high blood pressure and kidney stones. I am 34 and have three young children. Any ideas what might be causing this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and sorry for the late reply. Varicose veins in the legs are formed due to faulty valves in the veins, resulting in back flow, hence the venous dilatation. There could also be back flow at the saphenofemoral junction in the thigh. This incompetence can also cause the superficial veins in the abdomen to be dilated. These veins can also dilate due to other causes like portal hypertension. Next time you visit your doctor discuss this with him. Regards.