Varicose Veins Community
Varicose veins and laser?

Varicose veins are swollen, twisted veins that you can see just under the surface of the skin. These veins usually occur in the legs, but they also can form in other parts of the body. Discuss topics including spider veins, symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

Varicose veins and laser?

Recently I've seen ads for laser treatments for varicose veins.  They state that they are noninvasive procedures.  Do they work?  If so, what should I look for to make sure the treatment center/operator is medically safe?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and sorry for the late reply. Endovenous laser treatment (ELT) is a minimally invasive ultrasound-guided technique used for treating varicose veins using laser energy. Laser heat damages a vein, which makes scar tissue form.  Endovenous laser treatment closes veins about 94 out of 100 times. It doesn't work about 6 out of 100 times.

If endovenous laser treatment does not close a vein, you will need a second treatment. Depending on what is available in your area, you may have choices between another laser treatment, radiofrequency treatment, or sclerotherapy. In some cases, vein surgery is recommended.

For the best chance of success, be sure to have a doctor with a lot of endovenous laser experience. Regards.