706?1280258259
Vitamin B6 Toxicity User Group
B6 toxicity 10 years ago and still suffering
About This Group:

Vitamin B6 is a water-soluble vitamin that can result in nerve damage when too much is taken in the form of supplements. B6 is found naturally in most grains such as flax and wheat. Many vitamin supplements and diet pills also contain more than the daily requirements of vitamin B6. B6 toxicity, also known as B6 overdose, is rare and most doctors are unfamiliar with it. It's becoming more common as manufacturers are adding B6 supplements to many vitamins and fortifying cereals. Symptoms commonly include a feeling of pins and needles, like nails being driven into you, generally in your hands and feet or anywhere else in your body where you've sustained nerve damage in the past. However, instead of pain, symptoms may include numbness. Either is refered to as neuropathy. Anytime you eat foods with certain forms of vitamin B in them (B1, B3, B6), your symptoms worsen for many hours. B6 toxicity is usually reversible by avoiding foods with vitamin B in them for 6 months to 3 years.

Founded by Meganamy on July 27, 2010
46 members

Hello. I have been reading the threads for a little while now. They have really been a comfort for me knowing that
there are others out there and I'm not alone.

About 10 years ago a naturopath prescribed high levels of B6 (300mg) daily and after a few months I developed the usual - numbness, tingling, dizziness, fatigue, pain, burning ........... Once I stopped the supplements it gradually went away but I was left with a slight loss of sensation. This I could live with. However like others even the tiniest amount of B6 and some of the symptoms would return. I thought that was the end of it as long as I avoided the B6.

Now I am in a worse place. I had my beautiful daughter 3 years ago. The pregnancy was pretty rough. Joint pain, fatigue and severe nausea. Didn't have a great diet but took my folic acid. Nothing else. As all of my children have colic I found a homeopath who suggested that i eliminate bread, pasta, rice, oats, potatoes etc.. Just anything "sticky" I did and a few weeks later the symptoms returned but they were slightly different. I felt more confused, brain fog and some memory loss as well as neuropathy. The only thing I put it down to was the dietary change. Started eating normally and the symptoms gradually went away. Weetabix really help me. My problem is now that if I reduce my food intake or stop the weetabix 2-3 times a day my symptoms return. The scary symptoms are the dizziness, brain fog and memory loss. I have aching jaws, week arms, fatigue and sometimes I find it harder to read. I have a feeling that I am deficient in some b vitamins which is why the weetabix help but I still cannot tolerate the B6 because it makes the burning and dizziness worse. I have checked the packet and they are fortified with B1, B3, folate and B2. This has been going on for the last 3 years. I have had MRI scans, blood tests etc which have all been normal according to the doctors.

I recently went to see a doctor who specializes in nutrition and he suggested taking a low dose B complex. Well big mistake that just made the dizziness and neuropathy worse but improved my memory. So I stopped and felt great for a few days but some of the symptoms came back.

So I'm in a catch 22 - if I take a B complex the B6 screws me up, but I need B vitamins otherwise I will also have neurological problems. I have tried juicing to get extra nutrients so I can cut out the weetabix and the extra food as I have gained ALOT of weight and I desperately want to lose it.
But the burning and dizziness got worse with the juicing. Must have been all the broccoli and spinach (lots of B6). I usually don't have a problem with foods.

I really don't know what to do. Whenever I try to lose weight i.e. reduce my food intake my neuro symptoms return. I know I need extra support but how can I take the B vitamins I want to in small amounts without the B6? i am afraid to take other b vits in large amounts in case I build up some sort of toxicity/intolerance to those. I am also afraid to go it alone without the advice of a doctor/nutritionist who understand this.

Does anyone know of a doctor that can help? I am in the UK and haven't found anyone here that can help but am willing to look elsewhere in the world if need be. I have had to take time off work and I'm tired of doctors not taking me seriously. It is also hard trying to convince doctors that I might be deficient in some B vitamins as I am overweight but the fact that fortified cereal helps (as long as there is no B6) points to this.

I am so frustrated. I feel like my body has failed on me and the lack of help available is so depressing. Really grateful to have found this forum and I wish everyone better because this condition is serious and can be really debilitating.
1 Comment
That sounds a lot like what I've been going through. My symptoms started in pregnancy when I was taking prenatal vitamins.

Thanks to the B6 Toxicity discussion here on Medhelp, I learned about something called MTHFR. I got tested for that and I tested positive. What it means is that my body doesn't create enough of an enzyme to break down certain foods and vitamins. I don't know if that's the entire explanation for my problems or if there's more.

I, too, have been trying to lose weight. In my case, though, if I eat nothing, I'm in less pain. My problem is that I like to eat. And so I've been eating fewer calories, but one still has to eat.

My first recommendation would be to try to find out if you can get tested for MTHFR. It was a blood test here in the US. Luckily, my doctor was willing to perform the test once I asked.
nutrinut_bob commented on "Lyme Disease Ma...
Feb 02
Gager1 joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 05
denver13 joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 02