706?1280258259
Vitamin B6 Toxicity User Group
Estrogen and B6 Toxicity
About This Group:

Vitamin B6 is a water-soluble vitamin that can result in nerve damage when too much is taken in the form of supplements. B6 is found naturally in most grains such as flax and wheat. Many vitamin supplements and diet pills also contain more than the daily requirements of vitamin B6. B6 toxicity, also known as B6 overdose, is rare and most doctors are unfamiliar with it. It's becoming more common as manufacturers are adding B6 supplements to many vitamins and fortifying cereals. Symptoms commonly include a feeling of pins and needles, like nails being driven into you, generally in your hands and feet or anywhere else in your body where you've sustained nerve damage in the past. However, instead of pain, symptoms may include numbness. Either is refered to as neuropathy. Anytime you eat foods with certain forms of vitamin B in them (B1, B3, B6), your symptoms worsen for many hours. B6 toxicity is usually reversible by avoiding foods with vitamin B in them for 6 months to 3 years.

Founded by Meganamy on July 27, 2010
49 members

Estrogen and B6 Toxicity

I've had B6 toxicity for almost a month now.  I'd read, on this forum, that B6 absorption may be reduced by the estrogen in foods.  Although I realize that the comment was about food, I wanted to investigate the estrogen angle.
Especially since my neuropathy symptoms improved so much during my period.  And I'd read some accounts where neuropathy was worse prior to period onset (when progesterone is higher).

Anyway I tried using estriol last night.  (Estriol is a bio-identical estrogen cream.)  Wow, did my symptoms worsen!
I was on day #10 of my cycle.  And, if it matters, I'm in my late 40s with a regular cycle.  

Does anyone have any information on what's going on?  Or on how estrogen impacts B6 levels?  Has anyone had any experience with the use of natural progesterone or estrogen with B6 toxicity?  Prior to this, I frequently used natural progesterone during the last part of my cycle (day #12 thru day #26).  I hadn't touched the stuff though still dealing w/ this B6 problem.

Sorry that you've joined the rest of us in this pain. But welcome. We're happy to welcome you here.

The only things I know about this are the following. My B6 pain gets worse during my period. But my pain is in my breasts, and as you know, breasts are more tender during your period, so I think it's just additive, in my case.

Before I knew that my pain was due to B6 toxicity, I had read that many women have breast pain called Fibromyalgia. And that it is reduced by taking Evening Primerose oil. So I rushed to the store and bought some. And it made my pain markedly worse.

Apparently, it includes soy and soy lecithin. Soy lecithin must be extremely high in B6, because anywhere it is found (and it's found as a filler in many many foods), it causes me tremendous pain. For example, Toblerone chocolate has a tiny amount of soy lecithin in it and it causes me a ton of pain, although I have been able to eat Hershey's because that doesn't have as much soy lecithin.

I also know that soy can mimic estrogen, in the body. Many women in menopause take soy instead of hormones.
Yes, I was on estrogen patches when I was first diagnosed with B6 toxicity, and in fact had been slowing ramping up on the estrogen. Estrogen reportedly increases your need for B6, which seems counterintuitive, since I had more B6 toxicity with higher levels of estrogen. Perhaps estrogen causes B6 to store more readily in the muscle? I have no idea, but there IS an effect, somehow. Also, during my B6 toxicity recovery, things were always much worse before my period. Again, that makes very little sense to me, since that is supposedly a low estrogen time. My conclusion was that I can't figure out the connection exactly, but there definitely is one.  Definitely. In fact, that was one of two clues that led my neuro to even suspect B6 toxicity.
TimHa joined this group
Welcome them!
Aug 05
chris677 joined this group
Welcome them!
Aug 03
Joshann joined this group
Welcome them!
Aug 02