706?1280258259
Vitamin B6 Toxicity User Group
What specialist can help?
About This Group:

Vitamin B6 is a water-soluble vitamin that can result in nerve damage when too much is taken in the form of supplements. B6 is found naturally in most grains such as flax and wheat. Many vitamin supplements and diet pills also contain more than the daily requirements of vitamin B6. B6 toxicity, also known as B6 overdose, is rare and most doctors are unfamiliar with it. It's becoming more common as manufacturers are adding B6 supplements to many vitamins and fortifying cereals. Symptoms commonly include a feeling of pins and needles, like nails being driven into you, generally in your hands and feet or anywhere else in your body where you've sustained nerve damage in the past. However, instead of pain, symptoms may include numbness. Either is refered to as neuropathy. Anytime you eat foods with certain forms of vitamin B in them (B1, B3, B6), your symptoms worsen for many hours. B6 toxicity is usually reversible by avoiding foods with vitamin B in them for 6 months to 3 years.

Founded by Meganamy on July 27, 2010
46 members

What specialist can help?

I have been coping with numbness, tingling, burning of arms legs, back of head, face for 7 months now.  The only abnormality was high B6 (61).  I was taking only 25 mg per day, much lower then the upper limit.  The B6 has dropped to 9, yet the symptoms persist.  My doctor has no idea what specialist to refer me to.  Is it possible I have the MTHFR genetic variation?
Hi marlad48,

My guess, based on my experience, is that it's probably likely that you have one of the MTHFR genetic variations (there are several).

What I'm learning on this long journey with tingling and burning pain is that there are many man-made vitamins that are supposed to be good for you, but they're not exactly the same as the ones found in nature, so if you have MTHFR, your body can't process the vitamins correctly and it stores them as toxins instead. My MTHFR is preventing my body from breaking things down correctly and it's giving me side effects.

If you're in the US, your primary care physician can test you for MTHFR. I think it's about $150 without insurance. Mine was covered by insurance and it was a blood draw.
I have been actually doing a little better lately,until last week after thinking I could eat pecans!  My blood sugar is slightly high they are calling it pre- diabetes. So I exercised like crazy for three days and cut out sugar mostly, I had pretty numb feeling toes. So I started taking my liquid calcium with vitamin d and magnesium again. I remembered feeling better on it. I take high blood pressure meds and I found out on line they can cause a magnesium deficiency and magnesium is very important for b6 to work in your body. I thought maybe that is why b6 is building up and causing this toxicity; also b6 needs certain enzymes and that is why this is helping too!Let me know what you think?  I know everyone's situation is different.
oh, I found out that zinc is very important for magnesium to work also so I looked at my other supplements and none of them had it in them except some that I take for my eyes called nutraveiw  by melaleuca. they only have15mcg, don' t know if that's enough!  I started taking them again anyway. I have been afraid to take many of my vitamins since I became toxic,which is too bad since I feel so much better taking them. I think it is helps for everyone to write what they have tried and what works and what doesn't. I think it will help us all to get over this sooner. My feet have started a new phase now they are feeling more numb and hurt to walk on at first getting out of bed, I hope it's a good sign!
How are you doing now? I'm working with an MTHFR specialist because my pain continues. We're trying to get the methylation pathways working correctly.
Help. I just want to verify that I can send and receive messages. Would you please respond. Thanks.    Bev516
nutrinut_bob commented on "Lyme Disease Ma...
Feb 02
Gager1 joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 05
denver13 joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 02