Severe vitamin D deficiency
I have severe vitamin D sufficiency. My doctor prescribed 50,000 units of vitamin D daily for one month. Is this safe? Looking forward to some answers.
For one month shouldn't be to much! Toxicity can occur at 40,000 IU per day when taken for months,
vitamin D dose needed for normal functioning of your body is pretty high. If vitamin D deficiency occurs, it takes several steps to normalize vitamin D levels in one’s body.

Vitamin D deficiency treatment depends on how serious your condition is, that is to say – how low your vitamin D levels are. If the deficiency is mild, it is apparent that your daily vitamin D intake will last for not very long time (from four to twelve weeks) and your dose will be lower. In cases of severe vitamin D deficiency, the dose will be considerable higher and the entire treatment will last longer. The treatment may consist of supplements taken orally or vitamin D injections.
You should not be surprised if your doctor prescribes very high dose because it takes efforts and time to get your vitamin D levels back to normal. But even though your dose may seem too high for you, you should not worry too much because overdose is very rare. If you are on therapy to solve this problem, you will certainly go to check your condition frequently enough so you will know how you progress.
Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin which is created by sun exposure. Its deficiency symptoms are depression, chronic fatigue, weight loss, diabetes, heart disease, stroke and osteoporosis.

Vitamin D is known as sunshine vitamin because it is created in the body when it is exposed to sunlight. If you are a vegetarian you should know that that type of diet can be low on vitamin D because it is commonly found in foods such as egg yolk, fish, fish oil, some cheese, beef liver and some types of grain.

Vitamin D is of utmost importance for your body because its role is to help your body use the calcium and phosphorus from your food. It also regulates normal cellular differentiation thus preventing cancer and helps insulin secretion. Deficiency of this vitamin is connected to rickets.

This is a disease which affects your bones in way they don’t form properly because the calcium cannot be incorporated into them.  So your bones lack minerals and that makes them fragile. This can cause serious skeletal deformities.

Causes of vitamin D deficiency can be different. Here are some of them:

You don’t consume recommended doses of this vitamin. In that case, change your diet. Start consuming foods that are rich  in vitamin D. We have already mentioned the foods  rich in vitamin D.

Limited exposure to sunlight can also be the cause. This is very easy to treat. Just go out more.

Your kidneys cannot change vitamin D into its active form. This comes with age. The older you get, the harder it becomes for your kidneys to do this process.

You are overweight. Vitamin D is absorbed by fat cells which can lead to low levels of vitamin D in your body. Lose weight because if you don’t your bones will become more fragile.

If you have dark skin, you should be aware that melanin in your skin reduces skin’s ability to produce vitamin D. Take a vitamin D supplement.
Vitamin D Deficiency Symptoms in Women

Vitamin D is very important for human body, regardless to age or sex, but here is something about vitamin D deficiency symptoms in women.

Vitamin D is crucial for many reasons, especially for women – according to some sources. It is suggested that vitamin D is very important when it comes to cancer prevention in women; the types of cancers we’re referring to are breast cancer, bladder cancer, ovarian cancer and colon cancer. As you can see, some of these are particularly women issues.

Some of the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency can be seen in women only, like mood changes during premenstrual syndrome. Other mood related symptoms are depressive behavior and/or seasonal affective disorders. These claims are not yet officially accepted as true, but they certainly make sense. Also, in menopausal women, symptoms of vitamin D deficiency can be closely related to osteoporosis. When it comes to pregnant women, we already know how important vitamin D is for the fetus.
people's pharm.
My sister has kidney disease, not sure if this is relative to Vitamin D deficiency..but she was told just to get outside more.  The Dietician stated that the normal person will get enough Vit D just by driving in their car.  
She is fine without supplements (Kidney damage stopped also, through diet).
So ...listen to your doctor or  Dietician (not a Nutritionist).  Per Mouse, there are so many variables and someone needs to make that decision for you.
tanning beds make you feel  great also
You only need 15 minutes of daily exposure to the sun to get your dose of D.
If you live in the cold weather zone then take your D3 in the winter
Hi Folks, I have been diagnosed with a severe vit d deficiency. I am taking 800iu caps 4x daily and have been taking these for 3 months now, with no marked improvement.
I am 38, 6" tall and not overweight. I have chronic fatigue at times and take tegretol retard for controlled epilepsy, but I don't understand how i could be so deficient, when i eat a healthy balanced dies and strip off to the sun as soon as it pops out!!
can anyone help???
Many thanks
I have vitamin D deficiency, I have a level of 8 where you should have a level of 20 to 50. I am taking 50,000 mg once a week for 12 weeks getting regular blood checks along the road through my doctor.
I have fibromyalgia and battle with depression as well. I do not know if this will help ... but it is my two cents worth.