Vitamin D Community
Vitamin D Deficiency recovery time??

This community is for discussions about vitamin D, what it does, vitamin D deficiency, symptoms, foods that provide vitamin D, supplements, effects on health and when to see your doctor. We also encourage discussions about any other vitamin D topics that would be of interest to other members.

Vitamin D Deficiency recovery time??

I'm recovering from a Vitamin D deficiency. My levels (accordiong to my endo) were 16 (im assuming ng/ml).. I was supplementing with 6-8,000 IU of D3 daily. I was told that my serum levels have gotten up to 70, but unfortunately I'm still exhibiting a lot of the same symptoms.. Brain Fog, Fatigue, LOW T (no libido), proximal muscle fatigue, etc...I'm trying to find out how long it's going to take for me to start feeling better again.. Vitamin D deficiency is a nightmare!
And its been about 2 months since I was informed that serum levels were in teh appropriate range.. I'm going to call ym primary physician tomorrow to get a copy of the panel results to find out exactly if it was nmol or ng/ml..
do people even see these threads?
Hello, I am a 35 yrs old and for more than 6 months I have been struggling with my symptoms. At first I had stomach problems. The pain in my abdomen was so bad my husband had to call an ambulance . I nearly fainted ,it was awful , and I am a mother of 3 children , I know what pain is. The paramedics were very upset with me as it wasn't a life threatening situation :(. Then everything started to fall apart. I was feeling tired, I had pain all over my body, my legs were killing me, my arms and hands all of a sudden were "falling asleep", I got bruises all over my legs, I lost 10 kg in less than 2 months without any changes in my diet. I started to feel extremely anxious and were getting panic/anxiety attacks every other day. My GP stopped paying attention to my symptoms- the minute I stepped in to the cabinet he would say that I have to change my lifestyle - enjoy more.....he thought that everything is because I am stressed. He never listened to me. Yes, I was stressed, I am still getting stressed from time to time because of my symptoms. I am so stressed that the are days I think I am going insane. I am so scared that my three children will have to come to visit their mother in the hospital because she is mentally ill. Honestly I am freaking out. Three weeks ago I changed my GP and on my first appointment with the new one I told him that I want my Vit D checked. I can't remember who told me that I might be deficient. The results came back and my level was 24. He told me that it is not SO bad and prescribed me 10 k/ week and also folic acid as the levels  were low  too. I am also taking something for my IBS or GERD ( I don't think he is sure exactly what I have) and some pills for my terrible migraine - that's a new one from last week. Now I am thinking of increasing my Vit D and also buying some magnesium and calcium . I am not sure though if I am going to do it as I hate taking pills and I am scared to do it without making sure its completely safe. Some of my other symptoms (except the panic and pains) are shortness of breath, heart palpitation , chest pain , dry eyes, dry mouth ,sore throat ( not very often), a very strange sensation on the back of my neck when I lay on my pillow- its like pounding or like impulse ,starting from the bottom of my neck and getting stuck at the base of my head.....I know it sound strange but I don't know how to explain it. It doesn't stop until I change my position. I wake up tired, some days instead of me looking after my children they have to look after me- it is devastating . I want to be the mother and the wife  I was, full of energy, funny to be around finding pleasure in every single thing. I really do, but every time I try to do something even simple tasks I start feeling tired so quickly , get dizzy and I get discouraged . I know now that most of my symptoms are probably because of VDD and I hope I will get better sooner or later .......I just don't wanna lose my mind .

I am from India, and I know what you are saying right now. I am also suffering from VDD and GERD. I too have stomach aches and I find it really difficult to maintain a balance between work and home. My symptoms are muslcles aches and joint pains. Nausea(in morning) and it stops when I eat something. The thing is taking too much calcium can cause nauseatic feeling. Get your Vit D, Vit B12, Calcium and PTH/TSH checked. I am only 27/M. I was doing a lot of exercises and now I can barely work for 8 hrs in office. Believe me we have to fight over it, don' t lose mind. You are not ALONE!! I am losing weight too, but I know its all related to Vit D imbalance. Some say it is also a hormone and it can cause issues. But don't worry. Feeling lazy after Vit D supplementation is normal for a day. I feel like when I used to be in SUN i feel lazy and now I know why because it was creating Vit D automatically. Same is the case for Vit D supplementation. I was injected 6 lakh IU of Vit D. , but after reading so many websites, I feel 50,000 IU a week for 8 weeks is effective and cause less issues.

Keep posting. I will share mine, we can and we will overcome :)
Hello, I have a d deficiency also but ended up having b deficiencies, low on vitamin c, also Epstein Barre virus antibodies (inactive) very high.
So lots of pains and fogginess and just not getting out of bed.
So you may want to have other vitamins checked --also hormones etc.
I did hear that you may need magnesium also and K2 when you have a vitamin d deficiency. Not sure how accurate. But also if you still feel the same symptoms you may need to stay on a maintenance dose of like 2,000 i.u. if back on track.
I am just doing a lot of differet research -just putting in my two sense. I am not sure if it would still be the D causing issues if numbers came back up...
I know this is a bit late, but I read somewhere that you don't want to take magnesium when taking D because the D causes you to have higher levels of magnesium as it is, so it could make you feel horrible.

The primary reason I'm responding to what you wrote is because it sounds like you have symptoms of celiac disease (only treatable via gluten free diet). The only realistic way to test (aside from an endoscopy or colonoscopy) is to do a two week strict gluten free diet and see how you feel.
In essence, your body would be treating gluten as though it were an invading entity in need of killing. Your body then goes into overdrive trying to kill off said invader, making you exhausted as though you have the flu. It jacks up your intestines and can cause intestinal pain, but it all but halts the absorption of vitamin B, D, iron, and if not dealt with, you can become lactose intolerant, too (ultimately it'll give you cancer, if not addressed). Each of those vitamin deficiencies can cause magnificent symptoms. The doctors typically unwittingly battle the symptoms, not realizing the source.  

The pulse like sensation is the beginning of an allergic reaction, which can progress  to itchiness (then full body itchiness) and then hives.
Your problem might be more down to Iron deficiency than Vitamin D deficiency.
This kind of fatigue is usually brought on by low Iron in the blood.
So it might do you good to check out your Iron levels as well as Magnesium.

That... and its really recommended to have Vitamin K2 MK-7 with Vitamin D3.

I hope you supplemented with Vitamin D3 and not D2.
There's a difference between the two apparently since little to no benefits were noted on D2, whereas with D3, noteable health benefits were observed.

Also... just because you raised your level to 70ng/mL, doesn't necessarily mean you will feel great on it.
Toxicity was NOT observed on levels as high as 200ng/mL (yes, 200).

I recall at least one case where a person had some kind of issues and 100ng/mL was not enough for them.
It was only when they crossed into an area above 130ng/mL is that they started to feel better.

I would surmise each person will have a different cut off point... but 200ng/mL would be good to aim for if you want to.

But it wouldn't hurt to check your Iron and Magnesium levels.
Also, Vitamin K2 as MK-7 is the most important co-factor for Vitamin D3.
I am VDD but could not tolerate taking the vit D3 50,000 units, you said you were losing weight was this before taking the Vitamin D3
So you lost 22lbs? I am deficient in Vitamin D and tried taking 50,000 units but could not I have panic attacks and dizziness on occasion I no longer do the fun stuff with the kids and I miss that. I have started to eat cereal fortified with Vit D and OJ with Vit D and going out in the sun I'm hoping my levels are going up but I really need to try a lower dose than 50,000 units. I have been going up and down in weight but mostly down I have been depressed lately have had an mri and found another issue which probably was causing my headaches its called Chiari malformation but now I'm thinking I need to take this VDD a little more seriously.