Vitamin D Deficiency
I am a 46 year old female and my blood test results came back with a 13.2 level of vitamin D which from what my doctor said is quite low. I live in Florida and spend what I feel is a normal amount of time daily in the sunshine.

When I asked him what would cause this he said that it happens as people get older (I am showing no signs of menopause). The lab results say that 35 - 100 was normal. The Dr. put me on 8,000 "whatever they are called" of Vitamin D3  a day and calcium w/D and to retest in 3 months.

I understand the supplements and the retesting but should I be a bit more concerned that there is an underlying problem?

My only other health "notes" : I had a cardiac ablation done almost a year ago from SVT and have had no issues since the ablation. Also, have had about 6 breast cysts aspirated.

Thank you for any insight you may be able to offer.
Vitamin D may decrease from certain medications such as certain anti-seizure, corticosteroids, heparin, certain antibiotics, mineral oil, and antacids; or certain disease states such as celiac disease, Crohn’s disease and Whipple’s disease. You should not go over in supplementation. 2000 IU is the tolerable upper intake level for adults; supplementation over that may cause a risk for toxicity (weak muscles, weak bones, excessive bleeding, and kidney stones). Vitamin D is available through our foods - Fortified milk, breakfast cereals, egg yolks, fatty fish, fish oils, and the sun, as you mentioned.