Aa
A
A
Close
Vitamin D Deficiency
I am a 46 year old female and my blood test results came back with a 13.2 level of vitamin D which from what my doctor said is quite low. I live in Florida and spend what I feel is a normal amount of time daily in the sunshine.

When I asked him what would cause this he said that it happens as people get older (I am showing no signs of menopause). The lab results say that 35 - 100 was normal. The Dr. put me on 8,000 "whatever they are called" of Vitamin D3  a day and calcium w/D and to retest in 3 months.

I understand the supplements and the retesting but should I be a bit more concerned that there is an underlying problem?

My only other health "notes" : I had a cardiac ablation done almost a year ago from SVT and have had no issues since the ablation. Also, have had about 6 breast cysts aspirated.

Thank you for any insight you may be able to offer.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
267079 tn?1195146570
Vitamin D may decrease from certain medications such as certain anti-seizure, corticosteroids, heparin, certain antibiotics, mineral oil, and antacids; or certain disease states such as celiac disease, Crohn’s disease and Whipple’s disease. You should not go over in supplementation. 2000 IU is the tolerable upper intake level for adults; supplementation over that may cause a risk for toxicity (weak muscles, weak bones, excessive bleeding, and kidney stones). Vitamin D is available through our foods - Fortified milk, breakfast cereals, egg yolks, fatty fish, fish oils, and the sun, as you mentioned.
Comment
Cancel
267079 tn?1195146570
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Vitamin D Community Resources