Vitamin D Community
Vitamin D Deficiency

This community is for discussions about vitamin D, what it does, vitamin D deficiency, symptoms, foods that provide vitamin D, supplements, effects on health and when to see your doctor. We also encourage discussions about any other vitamin D topics that would be of interest to other members.

Vitamin D Deficiency

I was just diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency (my level is at 16).  Think the normal range is to be above 30??  The Endocrinologist prescribed 50,000 IU (one capsule per week) for 3 months.  I'm very reluctant to take this after reading about some of the side effects.  

Has anyone else been diagnosed with this deficiency, been treated successfuly, and feel better?  

Do you know of another way (nutrionally/naturally) to get my levels back up?

Thanks!
I had low level as well. I did the same regime you are going to do.

I did not have any side effects from it, but it did help with the bone pain. I think my last Vit D test was 44. That was almost a yr. ago.

I was diagnosed with a level of vitamin D of 15.1. I went on a regimen of 50,000 UI per DAY for 2 months. 2 months later my level was 49.2. I am now taking 2,000 UI per day forever. I had absolutely no side effects of taking so much vitamin D.
I've taken vitamin D3 and tried to get as much sun as possible (for only about 3 months) and my level was brought up a lot.
Be mindful though, there're various form of D...and deficiency, make sure you don't over supplement yourself with D which can be harmful as well.

Good luck.
getting sunsight. 10/15 min. a day can help bring  the levels up also.
I was on this regime for even longer than three months.  I believe it was more than six months.  I will have to take high doses of vitamin D3 forever myself.  Good information about vitamin D can be found on mercola.com.  Use his search engine and type in vitamin D and you will be taken to a page of archived articles on vitamin D.  In some of his articles he recommended signing up with the Vitamin D Council.  He was right.  It proved to be worthwhile.  In one of the latest newsletters from the Council they mentioned taking magnesium with the vitamin D supplements to get the full benefit.  They provided evidence in a story about some children with Rickets who needed vitamin D.  They were given megadoses of vitamin D through IV, but they weren't getting any better and they were still testing low for vitamin D, even though the doctors knew very well that they had been given the proper amount of vitamin D.  Then, one of the brilliant doctors thought of adding magnesium to the mix.  The children then got better rather quickly.
I just had some blood work done and my Vitamin D, is 26.3  with a range of 32.0---100.0.  My doctor said that isn't that low.  I think it is.  He wouldn't prescribe any Vitamin D for me.

I am taking about 1200 mg a day between a multi, 400 IU, Hair Vit, D3 200 IU, and calcuim citrate with Vit D, 600 IU.  I have been taking this amount for about 2 months before the test was done.  Plus I have been out in the sun, not every day but about 3 times a week.

Should I just continue this or should I be taking more?

My symptoms are depression, hair loss, very achy, brain fog and more.

Check out the Vitamin D Council website.  You can take a lot more vitamin D before it's too much, because too many of us are vitamin D deficient.  You can easily take 5,000 or even 6,000 mg of vitamin D per day after you can no longer get sufficient vitamin D from sun exposure.  In the meantime, you can still take 2,000 mg per day 'til there isn't enough sun to get it through sun exposure.
I felt better in the short run, but in the long run... no. There is research now that suggests that a low vitamin D is the result of an illness and not the cause. I agree with this research.
Vitamin D metabolites as clinical markers in autoimmune and chronic disease.

Journal: Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009 Sep;1173:384-90. Authors: Blaney GP, Albert PJ, Proal AD.

Affiliation: Stillpoint Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Interesting how I know these people and was on the same protocol that they have had success on. This was e-mailed to me through co-cure, an organization that keeps physicians, researchers and patients in on the latest research for (mostly) Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and fibromyalgia.

For a link to this article on vitamin D deficiency and DYSREGULATION... check out:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122582826/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
Reversing Bacteria-induced Vitamin D Receptor Dysfunction Is Key to Autoimmune Disease:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19758226

Vitamin D metabolites as clinical markers in autoimmune and chronic disease:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19758177

Dysregulation of the vitamin D nuclear receptor may contribute to the higher prevalence of some autoimmune diseases in women:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19758159
Thank you once again for all the links.  I will certainly check them out, but I have to do this at a later point in time.  You know how foggy the brain gets, since we're dealing with similar issues.
I have a problem with Vitamin D as well. My count was at 8 and I told the same meds and it worked.  After the third month I was at 38 which is really good.  It is now back down to 26 and I just had a bone scan done and I now have osteoporosis in the spine neck and hips.  I would like to go back on the Vitamin D meds because I had no side affects with it.  I take two viactiv chews a day.  It has 500 D, 500 C and 40 K.  They come in different flavors I take the caramel.

Morg123