Vitamin D Community
Vitamin D deficiency and symptoms

This community is for discussions about vitamin D, what it does, vitamin D deficiency, symptoms, foods that provide vitamin D, supplements, effects on health and when to see your doctor. We also encourage discussions about any other vitamin D topics that would be of interest to other members.

Vitamin D deficiency and symptoms

I was just diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency. What are the symptoms that correlate with this deficiency?

Thanks for your help and imput.
My son is vitamin D deficient, but he has other health issues going on.  Once he started taking the vitamin D, he no longer has trouble sleeping at night.  He has POTS, so now he isn't as sick as he had been.  Vitamin D is needed for a healthy nervous system.  What other symptoms people get, I'm not sure of.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Vit D deficiency causes rickets in children and osteomalacia (weakening of bones) and osteoporosis in adults. Apart from this a feeling of weakness, depression, lethargy, unexplained bone pains etc are common symptoms. Vit D deficiency also results in iron and zinc deficiency causing anemia, fatigue, listlessness etc.
Hope this helps. Take care!
Hi.  I was also diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency.  I have been taking 50,000 IU of Vitamin D once a week for the past 3 months.  I am scheduled to get retested next week.  The main symptom that I went into the doctor for was an unexplained pain in my lower back and legs. I am 41 years old but felt like a 90 year old, could hardly walk up the stairs or get out of a chair.  After 3 months the pain is still there but nothing like what it was before starting the large dose of vit D.  I have found many websites that are great in discussing the side effects of being vitamin D deficient.  I will forward the addresses if you need them.