Vitamins & Supplements Community
Calcium and parathyroid question

Vitamins are substances that your body needs to grow and develop normally; if you have low levels of certain vitamins, you may develop a deficiency disease. Supplements can also be important to provide your body with extra nutrients depending on the activities you do. Discuss topics including vitamin deficiency, food to counter vitamin deficiency, sufficient vitamin levels, and supplements.

Calcium and parathyroid question

Hey guys I have a question..

I was diagnosed with low vitamin D roughly 4 months ago @24ng/dl and at that time I had a lot of symptoms.. anxiety being the main one. Never had anxiety probelms before this.. it came out of no where after one panic attack when my psyc (my family doctor wanted me to see a psych for digestion troubles) put me on effexor for a couple of doses. Before that.. I had NO history of anxiety. Maybe mild nervousness during tests/exams and all.. All of a sudden I got a panic attack the day after I took my first full dose of effexor XR.

Anyways.. blood test showed low vitamin D and high calcium @2.67 (which is roughly 10.68 for you US folks).. my question is that my doctor told me to take vitamin D to bring it up and after that what happened was that my calcium came down.. and my symptoms are MUCH better. Also suffered from palpitations, dizziness, mild depression (vitamin D was definitely causing this as since I started treatment I felt MUCH better).. over the few months I've improved quite a bit. Still have some lingering anxiety however which may take some time to settle down.

So now I'm worried about parathyroid since my calcium was high at 10.68 with low Vitamin D. When my doctor retested it after 2.5 weeks it was at 10.2 (few days into vitamin D treatment). Then I got tested again for calcium and vitamin D and my level was at 40ng/dl after 3 months into treatment and my calcium fell again to 9.8..

So my question is.. what's going on? My doctor said that vitamin D is absorbing all the calcium that was in your blood but I'm skeptical since parathyroid.com says differently..

thanks and I apologize for the long post!