Vitamins & Supplements Community
High dose Vitamin C dangerous for asthma

Vitamins are substances that your body needs to grow and develop normally; if you have low levels of certain vitamins, you may develop a deficiency disease. Supplements can also be important to provide your body with extra nutrients depending on the activities you do. Discuss topics including vitamin deficiency, food to counter vitamin deficiency, sufficient vitamin levels, and supplements.

are high doses of vitamin c like 2000mg+/day dangerous for asthma?  can it overactivate your immune system?  I was taking vitamin C and then came down with bad wheezing now for 11 weeks
it doesn't seem to always protect against infections
There is no evidence that high dose vitamin C, certainly not 2,000 IU a day, will exacerbate asthma. C is, however a mild diuretic and if you are on an expectorant (which requires good hydration) the mucus may not clear as well. It will in no way inactivate your immune system.
A common expectorant suggested for asthmatics is guaifenesin 400 mg. For this to be effective the patient must drink lots of fluids and remain well hydrated. Any diuretic interfere with this recommendation.
I was put on Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) and the phlegm that had been plaguing me for years simply disappeared. I used the nebulized form. Lugol's solution relieved my fatigue.

It is my understanding that the body can only utilize about 250 mg of vitamin C a day. If that is true I don't understand what good it would do to take more. Am I missing something?