Vitamins & Supplements Community
High dose Vitamin C dangerous for asthma
About This Community:

Vitamins are substances that your body needs to grow and develop normally; if you have low levels of certain vitamins, you may develop a deficiency disease. Supplements can also be important to provide your body with extra nutrients depending on the activities you do. Discuss topics including vitamin deficiency, food to counter vitamin deficiency, sufficient vitamin levels, and supplements.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

High dose Vitamin C dangerous for asthma

are high doses of vitamin c like 2000mg+/day dangerous for asthma?  can it overactivate your immune system?  I was taking vitamin C and then came down with bad wheezing now for 11 weeks
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
it doesn't seem to always protect against infections
Blank
144586_tn?1284669764
There is no evidence that high dose vitamin C, certainly not 2,000 IU a day, will exacerbate asthma. C is, however a mild diuretic and if you are on an expectorant (which requires good hydration) the mucus may not clear as well. It will in no way inactivate your immune system.
Blank
144586_tn?1284669764
A common expectorant suggested for asthmatics is guaifenesin 400 mg. For this to be effective the patient must drink lots of fluids and remain well hydrated. Any diuretic interfere with this recommendation.
Blank
757137_tn?1347200053
I was put on Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) and the phlegm that had been plaguing me for years simply disappeared. I used the nebulized form. Lugol's solution relieved my fatigue.

It is my understanding that the body can only utilize about 250 mg of vitamin C a day. If that is true I don't understand what good it would do to take more. Am I missing something?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Vitamins & Supplements Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...