Vitamins & Supplements Community
I just don't get it.
About This Community:

Vitamins are substances that your body needs to grow and develop normally; if you have low levels of certain vitamins, you may develop a deficiency disease. Supplements can also be important to provide your body with extra nutrients depending on the activities you do. Discuss topics including vitamin deficiency, food to counter vitamin deficiency, sufficient vitamin levels, and supplements.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

I just don't get it.

Hi- I have Crohns disease, Ankylosing spondylitis, and borderline hypo. Recently I was diagnosed with low vitamin D. I am on my third month of treatment and have been noticing some unfortunate side effects. After about three weeks of vitamin d treatment I started getting a ton of gray hair (none before this), I have severe knee pain, and horrific mood swings. I don't get it because these are symptoms  that I should have been experiencing before treatment. Any
thoughts, I just don't get what's going on.

Thanks
1756321_tn?1377771734
The body uses magnesium to turn vitamin D into active vitamin D.  Taking vitamin D without enough magnesium in the diet can show up a magnesium deficiency. Symptoms of magnesium are numerous from muscle twitches/cramps to trouble sleeping. Pain and mood swings are on the list of possible magnesium deficiency symptoms.

I haven't heard magnesium deficiency is a cause of grey hair however. Grey hair is seen with vitamin B12 deficiency, folate deficiency, hypothyroidism, or vitiligo. It is more likely your symptoms are all thyroid related (pain and mood swings are listed symptoms of hypothyroidism) but you may find magnesium supplementation helps.

Thyroid tests include TSH, free T4, free T3, thyroid peroxidase antibodies (TPOAb), thyroglobulin antibodies (TgAb).  The most common cause of hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Vitamins & Supplements Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank