Vitamins & Supplements Community
Iron supplement side effects

Vitamins are substances that your body needs to grow and develop normally; if you have low levels of certain vitamins, you may develop a deficiency disease. Supplements can also be important to provide your body with extra nutrients depending on the activities you do. Discuss topics including vitamin deficiency, food to counter vitamin deficiency, sufficient vitamin levels, and supplements.

Iron supplement side effects

Hi. I have been taking ferrous sulfate since August. About 7 months. For the last 3 months I have been getting horrible muscle pains and stomach problems. Could this be a side effect of the iron?  I hope it's not some kind of toxicity. My last labs were ferratin 35 reference range 10-232. iron was 66. Reference range 45-160. Thank you.
Too little and too much iron can cause serious problems. Our body was designed to use and maintain iron levels on a daily basis. Slight deviations in the body’s ability to maintain homeostasis with iron, however, can have disastrous consequences.
RDA for iron is about 8 mg/day for men, 18 mg/day for menstruating females, and 27 mg/day for pregnant females. In order to ensure that pregnant
and menstruating women get the minimum iron needed, many foods are fortified with iron.
Doctors frequently are confused about iron testing. Many feel that, if a hemoglobin level is normal, then the iron level is normal. That is not true. It takes moderate to severe iron deficiency to result in a lowered hemoglobin level. The testing to order for diagnosing an iron problem includes not
only a hemoglobin level but also a ferritin level.
Ferritin is a measure of the iron storage cells in the body. A ferritin level is the best single test to order when checking an iron level. However, in patients with inflammation, ferritin can be abnormally elevated. In these cases it is best to also get a total iron level and a TIBC (total iron-binding capacity). Checking all of these factors can lead to the proper evaluation of the body’s iron status.
Are you taking the ferrous sulfate with food? I suggest with food!
I also suggest a chelated iron product to be the best absorbed forms of iron. A good product is Biotics Research, Fe-Zyme (Iron).
Also take it with vitamin C to enhance absorption of the iron. Also, it is important to take iron supplements away from dairy products or calcium supplementation.
Do you take any acid-lowering medication? If you do think about stopping it if you have iron deficiency. Iron requires adequate amounts of stomach acid for absorption.
My ferritin levels were a 9 when I started the iron. My TIBC was normal. I do take Pepcid 10 mg a day. As little as possible. I am 2 years post menopausal. I do take the iron with food. I'm hoping the muscle pains and GI issues are not a toxic effect from the iron. Thank you for helping.