Vitamins & Supplements Community
Recovery from Vitamin D deficiency?

Vitamins are substances that your body needs to grow and develop normally; if you have low levels of certain vitamins, you may develop a deficiency disease. Supplements can also be important to provide your body with extra nutrients depending on the activities you do. Discuss topics including vitamin deficiency, food to counter vitamin deficiency, sufficient vitamin levels, and supplements.

Recovery from Vitamin D deficiency?

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and severe vitamin d deficiency at the end of last year. My doctor has started me on a low dose of thyroxine and I was given a vitamin D injection.  

I've been told that I have to have more bloods taken at the end of Jan and have another vitamin D injection. I know that it's going to take a long time to rectify the thyroid problem, but since I had a vit d injection I expected to feel a little bit better following it.

It's now been 5 weeks since the injection and I've felt absolutely no difference in my mood, energy levels, etc etc.  could this be down to the thyroid problem?

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I just hoped that I'd at least show some slight improvement as my vit D levels (presumably) begin to raise to more normal levels.  

I'm hoping to feel a little bit more human soon as I'm about to start back at uni and need my concentration head on... Which at the moment it definitely isn't! I've read somewhere about taking additional supplements to help the vitamin D... And various other things... Does anybody have any advice on how I may start to feel more like a human again?!
I'm still low in vitamin D after two years. Admittedly i was severely deficient in magnesium which caused vitamin D resistance but even when i corrected my deficiency i have found it very difficult to raise my levels to my goal of 125nmol/L (50ng/mL). The possible explanations for vitamin D deficiency with hypothyroidism: poor absorption of vitamin D from the intestine or the body may not activate vitamin D properly.  Co factors for vitamin D absorption are magnesium (most important), vitamin K, vitamin A, zinc and boron.  

I have been on thyroxine for almost a year and still have many symptoms. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (the number one cause of hypothyroidism in the western world). Admittedly my symptoms have improved somewhat but it has been almost a year to even get to this point. I am going to start natural desiccated thyroid hormone that contains both T4 and T3 so i hope to see an improvement with my symptoms.

Deficiencies most commonly seen with hypothyroidism are vitamin D, iron and vitamin B12.  I would recommend sublingual (under the tongue) B12 (spray form is very easy to use) as this deficiency is most commonly due to malabsorption in the digestive tract and the sublingual form goes directly into the blood stream within 60 seconds.