Vitamins & Supplements Community
Side effects during Vitamin D recovery subsides with Calcium

Vitamins are substances that your body needs to grow and develop normally; if you have low levels of certain vitamins, you may develop a deficiency disease. Supplements can also be important to provide your body with extra nutrients depending on the activities you do. Discuss topics including vitamin deficiency, food to counter vitamin deficiency, sufficient vitamin levels, and supplements.

I'm taking 50,000IU vitamin D3 per week because of my low Vitamin D level.
Within a few days, the following symptoms developed:
- Extreme thirst that won't go away with fluid
- Fast heart rate (I could hear hear beating in my ears whole time)
- Muscle tightness
- Extreme fatigue (could sleep 24hr if I wanted)
- Increase in appetite (found this to be good since I've always been underweight and not much appetite)

So, I did some research and read that these symptoms are caused by Magnesium deficiency.  So, I tried high doses of magnesium with Vitamin D for a few days and it did not help a bit (even tried topical magnesium oil which is known for best absorption).

I also read that these symptoms are caused by high calcium in blood.
BUT, I wanted to try 500mg of calcium just before I give a rest to the recovery due to the extremely uncomfortable symptoms. And within a few hours of taking calcium those symptoms disappear, and I get great energy that I have never felt before.

Can someone explain why this happens? I thought all those symptoms are from high calcium in blood so I was supposed to avoid calcium and take magnesium instead????? So confused......
High doses of vitamin D can do two in regards to magnesium and calcium: cause magnesium deficiency and either high or low calcium levels. Excess vitamin D is a rare cause of high calcium levels however. High calcium also decreases appetite so i'd rule that out as the problem.

Magnesium, calcium and vitamin D all work together in a team so when you take too much of one the others are affected.  Taking vitamin D and magnesium and then adding calcium to balance it all out seems to have done the trick in my opinion.