Vocal Cord Paralysis User Group
Collagen Injection for Vocal Cord Paralysis
About This Group:

When I was diagnosed with Unilateral Vocal Fold Paralysis a year ago, I found it very difficult to find others who also suffer from this. I was, actually still am devastated as it has affected every aspect of my life, and not for the better :-( I have had two Vocal Fold Augmentations over the last year, just buying time to see if my RLN would decide to recover. My doctor is now ready to move on to a more permanent solution. I just want to make the best decision, just like I am sure you do. This is where patients sharing there personal experiences with other patients is so critical. Straight information... nothing sugar coated... just the fact. I mean, we are talking about our voice, as well as the rest of our lives! I would love to bring people who suffer from VCP together to share our stories, feelings, experiences, treatment outcomes, etc.

Founded by Marcia1964 on January 22, 2010
18 members

I am a 73 year old female and I lost my voice 16 months ago.  It was the first symptom of lung cancer. I have had chemo and radiation and am now in remission but still have no voice.  I speak in a whisper.  I recently had an appointment at the voice clinic.  Voice therapy is out of the question but the doctor told me that I was a good candidate for collagen injections into the paralysed cord.  I have ben told that the other benefits of having this done are:
(1) improved breathing
I have shortness of breath all the time except when at complete rest
(2)  improved swalllowing
I choke very easily when I swallow, especially on water. Sometimes I am just sitting still and I will choke on my own saliva.  My muscles are sore from coughing and choking.
(3) more energy
I use a lot of energy breathing, choking, and coughing.
(4) improved voice
If I end up with 1, 2 and 3 I have to place improved voice at the bottom of the list as the first 3 are so important my life would change significantly.
I have agreed to have the injections and am waiting for my appointment to have it done.
My question is - has anyone had these injections and, if so,  what improvements have you experiernced.
bestbreath joined this group
Welcome them!
Jun 06
lukesmom653 joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 21
paula4057 joined this group
Welcome them!
04/13