Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia Community
Help diagnosis waldenstroms macroglobulinarmia
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS), multiple myeloma, and plasmapheresis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Help diagnosis waldenstroms macroglobulinarmia

can someone help me please
My mother who is 85yrs has been suffering from Waldenstroms for 10 yrs she had one course of chemotherapy six yrs ago which held the disease rather than produce the partial remission

Having received a letter from her consultant we have been informed her HB was down to 9.6 g/dl, WBC 3.5 x 10/L and platelets 145 x 10/L > The consultant has told her she runs the risk of developing bone marrow failure which she says looks as if this is happening

Mum has refused treatment and does not wish to have chemotherapy . Mum lives independantly and has for the best part of her life been fit and well she does gets extremely tired and suffers with extreme bruising

Could someone explain the above to me and what to expect if there is no treatment given if as a family we talked mum into treatment would she expect a longer life span she is happy at the moment and there is certainly nothing wrong with her mind. Mum does not want to have a drug which makes her feel poorly she is after all nearly 86

Any help on understanding this would be greatly appreciated