Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia Community
Intermittent M-Spike
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS), multiple myeloma, and plasmapheresis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Intermittent M-Spike

I realize this is a WM forum - but I am unsure where to turn.   I am a 41 yr old with a 10 yr history of IgM monoclonal paraprotienemia (w/elevated B2 Microglobulins).  Additionally, I have been treated for hypercalcemia and had all other possible causes (ie: parathyroid disorder, myeloma) ruled out.  I have a chronic irom defiency anemia which has been treated with IV Imferon - however, my iron stores disappear after 2 years.  I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago to  see if that would resolve the anemia - to no avail.  I have my SPE & labs done every 3-6 months and have yet to find out what could cause an intermittent M-spike.  My doc (who I trust implicitly) has no clue.  But we just keep treating the symptoms as they appear.  Is this a normal profile for early WM?  Additionally, my latest labs show that the Fe deficiency is back however my hemoglobin is elevated.  Any suggestions or infor would be very much appreciated.

Scarlett
Related Discussions
-7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi Scarlett.
How are you doing?
Just have some clarifications.  What are your other signs and symptoms?  What other laboratory examinations were already done?  Have you had a bone marrow biopsy?
Excess lymphoplasmacytic cells, absence of lytic bone disease, and presence of hepatosplenomegaly or lymphadenopathy, or both characterize Waldenstrom’s Macroglobulinemia (WM).  Common symptoms include severe fatigue, bleeding, and bone pain.  Laboratory evaluation usually shows anemia, elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), elevated beta 2 microglobulin, and monoclonal IgM protein in serum.  Hypercalcemia is common in patients with multiple myeloma as a result of bone destruction.  
I suggest further examinations in order to have a definite diagnosis.  There are diagnostic criteria for WM.  Perhaps a referral to a hematologist will help.
Please do post your clarifications.
Good luck.
Blank
i jhave just been dia with waldstrom aneima lympoohoma  Pretty scarry. can aynone give me any words of wisdom and help thank you
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank